request for odf author account

Hi everyone, my name is Bagus Aji Santoso. I'm interested to help
LibreOffice documentation by translating it's content (guide, wiki,
etc) to my native language in Bahasa Indonesia.

Regards,
Bagus Aji Santoso

Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry no-one has responded yet! Hopefully someone can help soon.

Much of the translation work is done through the international translators
mailing list rather than here. Subscribe to them in the same way that you
subscribed to this mailing list. Once you have subscribed their email
address is;
L10n@Global.LibreOffice.Org
Hopefully that helps you figure-out the address needed to subscribe to
their mailing list!

They do the wiki's and the "in built help" (and the UI/Ux, official
websites and all the rest). This team 'just' does the Published Guides
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
and then publishes them at Lulu bookstore - which earns a little money,
enough to give back to the main project and for this team to use to get
into Apple and Android Book/App stores and such.

I think that of the few translation teams that work on the published guides
many use some 3rd party tool and track their translations independently but
that's tricky. Some use ODFAuthors, same as this team. Recently it's been
suggested that;
OmegaT
might be a better tool, especially for translators. I think the translator
teams that do use it seem to like it a lot.

Anyway, hopefully someone can give you an ODFAuthors login soon so that you
can have a look at how the English (US) section is set-up, maybe get an
idea of the processes used and to help you get hold of the originals.

I have created an ODFAuthors account for you, however you may not need
it. As Tom Davies mentions in a separate reply, you may wish first to
contact anyone else working on translation into your language.

--Jean

Thank you all for your reply.
My primary work would be translating the user guide book specially for
writer, calc, and impress. The translation for wiki or other content
already have many active contributor, but not for guidebook, so I want
to volunteering in translating guidebook into my language.
Am I still continue here, or change to translation team if I want to
translate the guidebook ?

Regards from
Bagus Aji Santoso

Hello,

Thank you all for your reply.
My primary work would be translating the user guide book specially for
writer, calc, and impress. The translation for wiki or other content
already have many active contributor, but not for guidebook, so I want
to volunteering in translating guidebook into my language.
Am I still continue here, or change to translation team if I want to
translate the guidebook ?

Stay on this list, the other list is only for the translation of the
product (UI, Help files, Website), the work on the wiki and the
documentations take place here.
Before beginning, maybe you should have a look here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team

Do you want to upload your work on the ODFAuthors site or will you
upload your files on the wiki?

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:
Ok, i think here might be best :slight_smile:
Good luck and regards from

I think Milos might be able to help you set-up something to help you
translate the Published Guides using OmegaT.

Probably best to read this wiki first
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UsingOmegaT
so that you can have a list of questions ready to ask him and then just
focus on any specific problems.

It might even be good to translate that wiki-page! Are other people likely
to join you and help do proof-reading etc in your language? Are you
working closely with the other translators for your language or are you the
first one to work on the guides? Have you used OmegaT before?

I am assuming that it is just you at the moment and that you haven't used
OmegaT before. So, hopefully people might join later after they start to
see the work being done. You might have to advertise to attract other
people to form a fresh new team but maybe don't worry about that just yet!

Good luck and regards from

Ahh, i think i got it wrong! Sorry!

I thought the plan was that translators would;
1. get the guides from ODFAuthors. ODFAuthors has the versions that are
being worked on at the moment even before they have been released.
2. use OmegaT (or the wiki) to do the work
3. use either the wiki or OmegaT to keep track of which stage each chapter
has reached

The English-language Team keeps track of each chapter in at least 2 ways;

1. We have a wiki which people use to make a note of which chapter they
are going to start working on. That note lets other people know that they
should leave that chapter alone. It's like a "sign-out sheet".

2. In ODFAuthors there are different folders so that once a chapter has
been written/edited/updated it goes into 1 folder. Then when it gets
reviewed the reviewed copy goes into the next folder. Then after
proof-reading the proof-read coy goes into the next folder ... and so on.
I think that means that there are many copies of the same chapter so that
if a big problem occurs then it's fairly easy to go back to an older copy
and hopefully find one from before the big problem occurred. So it's like
having a good back-up system.

3. i have a feeling that there is a sign-out sheet inside ODFAuthors too
but i'm not sure

I thought that translators would be using OmegaT instead of ODFAuthors
because it has additional tools that help with translations? I could
easily be wrong. I haven't used ODFAuthors nor OmegaT and haven't read the
guides about using them so i could easily be wrong about what they do.