Writer 4.2 Guide now compiled and published

No doubt it features the usual assortment of minor problems that I
didn't catch, but the ODT and PDF are on the wiki, and the ODT is on
ODFAuthors. Feel free to report whatever you find.

I'll get it listed on the LibreOffice website soon, and get the
printed copy published when I find time (probably over the weekend).

As usual, while compiling the book I found little things that needed
fixing in the individual chapters. Many (most) chapters have been
replaced on the wiki and ODFAuthors.

Lastly, if whoever was "cleaning" the files of internal xml problems
has the time to clean the WG files, that would be great.

--Jean

I'll have a look at it over the next few weeks and report on anything I
can find that needs fixing.

Hi :slight_smile:
I am sure it is plenty good enough! The might be minor problems but i
don't think it's worth trying to catch them now.

Apparently a VERY early pre-pre-release version of branch 4.4.0 is possible
to acquire from somewhere super-secret now. If any more work on the Writer
Guide takes place it'd be fantastic if it's towards an initial draft for
the 4.4.x branch.

There is a lot else to do at the moment. The Base Handbook is well
under-way now. Gary (new) is keen to do early chapters but is still trying
to figure out how to download chapters from ODFAuthors. Alan Cook
(new(ish)?) was keen for someone to review Chapter 8. Most chapters are
available for review or proof-reading. I know you did a LOT of work on
that early on so it'd be great to have your input on a fairly final
polishing.

Peter S is working on Draw and Math, i think focussing on the Math Guide at
the moment. Does that have new Chapters for this release? If so should i
add them to the wiki?

I'm sure there is other stuff too but i just wanted to show where people
seem to be currently focussing on, or need help with.

The Writer Guide is perfect enough and is undoubtedly truly excellent as it
is.

Hi Tom,

Hi :slight_smile:
I am sure it is plenty good enough! The might be minor problems but i
don't think it's worth trying to catch them now.

Apparently a VERY early pre-pre-release version of branch 4.4.0 is possible
to acquire from somewhere super-secret now. If any more work on the Writer
Guide takes place it'd be fantastic if it's towards an initial draft for
the 4.4.x branch.

so secret that you can find the link to it on the website...
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks for the link :slight_smile: That looks easy and makes sense. I thought it was
at an earlier stage than that. Things move on so fast in LibreOffice!
Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello,

Lastly, if whoever was "cleaning" the files of internal xml problems
has the time to clean the WG files, that would be great.

I have done my homework :). You can find the cleaned version at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hw2khxh567s4bgj/AABWDuKvbAZmIz_keYxwmOzAa?dl=0

An interesting observation: it turns out that the Writer Guide shares
17% of sentences with the Getting Started Guide. This means that these
sentences are automatically translated, when using the translation
memory file from the Getting started guide. Additional sentences differ
only in a few words, which means that they can be reused too with some
editing.

Except for the cleaning (not very much, since the version 4.0 has
already been cleaned) I've corrected two problems:
XML of Chapter 9 was not valid. I assume that there was a bug in OO when
its original was created. The lxml parser, which I use for cleaning,
refused to process the file and MS Office 2013 was not able to open it.
The problem was that invalid id was used in lists. Ids should not start
with a number, which was the case of this document. I had to remove and
create list items manually. It is OK now.

The second problem was perhaps related to the gap in index in the
WG42-WriterGuideLO.odt file. I've just by chance found a place with
maybe 200 empty index items. I've remoded them. I hope that was it and
that the index will be OK now.

best
Milos

Now if someone else will replace the published ODT files on ODFAuthors
and the wiki with these...

(Whoever intends to do it, let us know so we don't have several people
replacing the same files.)

--Jean

Jean Weber wrote:

Lastly, if whoever was "cleaning" the files of internal xml problems
has the time to clean the WG files, that would be great.

I have done my homework :). You can find the cleaned version at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hw2khxh567s4bgj/AABWDuKvbAZmIz_keYxwmOzAa?dl=0

Now if someone else will replace the published ODT files on ODFAuthors
and the wiki with these...

(Whoever intends to do it, let us know so we don't have several people
replacing the same files.)

--Jean

I would take this on, but I don't see any mechanism for uploading or
replacing files. Do I need additional permissions?

Dave

You should be able to do this on both ODFAuthors and the wiki, but if
my description below for ODFAuthors doesn't fit what you see, let me
know and I'll tell you the alternative way.

For ODFAuthors:
1. Log in and go to the page for a chapter, for example
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/published-4.2/wg4-2-preface/view

2. On the green bar above the title ("WG4.2 Preface" in this example),
you should see "View", "Edit", "Sharing" on the left. Click "Edit".
(If you don't see "Edit", then you don't have the necessary
permissions.)

3. On the Edit File page, look below the File name for two choices.
The second is "Replace with new file". The rest should be
straightforward.

4. Repeat for each chapter.

The wiki is a bit trickier.
1. Log in, then, in the address bar on your browser, type this and press Enter:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:WG4200-Preface.odt

2. That will take you to a page with the heading File:WG4200-Preface.odt
Look about halfway down for a link "Upload a new version of this
file". Click that.

3. The Upload file page should be straightforward. Under File changes,
you could put something like "Cleaned file."

4. Repeat for each chapter. My usual error is to typo the filename in
the browser address bar, so if you get a back that says the file does
not exist, that's likely what happened.

--Jean

P.S. We should put these instructions somewhere, either on the wiki or
in the Contributors Guide or both.

When this happens, it might be usefull to browse the Prefix Index (Wiki
Sidebar: Tools > Special pages > List of pages > All pages with prefix)

There you can enter the prefix e.g. "WG" to find all pages starting with
"WG". Don't forget to change the namespace to "File" to see only files.

Nino

Jean Weber wrote:

Jean Weber wrote:

[...]

OK I (user name: Bmcs) have "finally" got around to updating the
Documentation Wiki with Milos's "cleaned" ODT files.

I am holding off on updating the ODFAuthors "Published" files because:

a) I don't appear to have the necessary permissions. So I either need
additional permissions, or the information Jean mentioned about an
"alternative way".

b) I see that Hazel has been working her magic on the existing files for
chapters 1, 2 & 3. Is Hazel prepared to redo these chapters using the
"cleaned" files?

c) On Oct 2nd. Klaus-Jürgen Appears to have modified the "Published"
version of Chapter 13 Working with Master Documents and I don't want to
overwrite his work.

Two more questions:

1. Does the "cleaning" of the ODF files have any impact the Wiki PDF
files? Should I create a new set of PDF files from Milos's "cleaned" ODT
files and upload them.

2. Should I update the page count and dates on this Wiki page?:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide

When I have worked through the entire process I will add/update the wiki
and the Contributors Guide.

Dave

Hi :slight_smile:
Don't worry too much about the page count. It's nice to be roughly right
but doesn't really need to be absolutely precise.

It's just a rough indication of 'size' and a more useful indication of how
much work might be involved in proof-reading (or whichever stage). Mb, Kb
etc didn't really help us much.

Dates can be similarly rough. It's there just as a useful bit of
information for people producing documentation.

If 2 versions of a chapter appeared the date value might help us work out
which one was best or more recent or whatever. It might help people assess
which chapters might be a lot older than others and therefore might need
more work to update.

Sorry! I've no idea about the important questions you were asking there
:frowning:

Dave Barton wrote:

Jean Weber wrote:

Jean Weber wrote:

[...]

Hazel is still continuing with her corrections to the originally
"Published" files on the ODFAuthors site. Should we now wait until Hazel
has finished and ask Milos to run his "clean up" routine on those files?

Dave