Five chapters of Writer 4.2 Guide awaiting review

Some mistakes remain in that chapter. I will upload a corrected
chapter later today.

Also, I think the level of detail in the "What's New" section is too
great, and there are too many x-refs to external websites (good to
have on the LO website or wiki, but not so good in a book IMO). I
would like to amend that section.

--Jean

Hey all,

I could do a little bit of review work, if you'd like.

It's been a while since I've contributed, but I see no problem helping out
a great cause.

Best,
Preston

Jean,

I will take a look at the "What's New" section, and remove the x-refs,
replacing them with footnotes as needed.

What do you think?

Best,
Preston

I think that whole section is too detailed and most -- probably all --
of those x-refs are not needed and should be deleted.

--Jean

Great. I'll do that right away.

Hey everyone,

I've uploaded a revised draft by Jean and I.

Cheers~

Hi all,

Where is everyone? Is no one willing or available to review anything?
If not, then I'll just publish them as is. Quality assurance on
documentation is desirable, but if we hang around indefinitely waiting
for people, it means nothing gets published.

Chapters are here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/drafts-v4.2/

We have three chapters to do:

12 TOCS, Indexes
15 Forms
A Shortcuts

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Writer_Guide

Who takes care of one of them?

Does anybody know about chapter 14?

Hi :slight_smile:
I am not sure but i think someone, KO(?), is working on Chapter 14
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Status_of_tasks_-WG-_LO_v4.2

I'm even less sure about Chapter 15, Forms. Peter Goggin expressed
interest just before he vanished. So he might be working on it already or
might have been distracted by having to sort out his email-client or ISP or
something.

So if 2 people here could take on one of the 2 other chapters;
12, Table of Contents, Indexes
Appendix A, Shortcuts
then that would be great.

I had a little go at reviewing Shortcut, i mean how hard could that be?!
Once again i found myself running into problems that none of the rest of
you seem to find at all difficult. I could try blaming Ubuntu or my
install on Ubuntu or that my ham-fisted use of LibreOffice over the years
has messed up the tool-bars and stuff so much that it's difficult to see
what's going on. Really though i just don't know how you folks manage to
do it at all, let alone to make it look so easy.

AFAIK, Peter Goggin is working on the Forms chapter in the Base Handbook,
not the one in the Writer Guide.

I did a review of 14 (Fields), but I may not have handled the paperwork
properly. I did not have an account on Authors when I volunteered. I noted
three things in my review:

1. A date field was inserted that looked like a mistake. I believe Sophie
confirmed it was an error and said she would remove it.
2. I noted that the keyboard shortcuts did not work for me. My guess is
that it is a KDE problem. Tom, I thought you were going to confirm this,
but I am comfortable with what I found at this point. The questions here is
whether the Guide should say anything about this. I think Jean or Sophie
needs to make that call.
3. I could not make sense of the section on Conditionals. I could click the
buttons and get similar screen shots, but I could not understand exactly
what it was supposed to be doing. I can give ti a try again this weekend,
but I think this is a section that should be rewritten since it is not at
all clear what it is doing. Tom you suggested that would be a good idea,
but for a later version of the guide. I will keep this idea on my todo list
if that is agreeable to everyone, and see how to offer a rewrite for a
future version.

So, I did a review of Ch.14 with the above results, but I did not formally
do a check-out of the chapter. What should I do now to move this forward? I
now have my Authors account so I can log in and do whatever is needed.

Thanks,

Put your reviewed file here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/feedback-4.2

Tell us you've done that. Amend the Tasks page on the wiki,
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Writer_Guide

I'll take it from there. Thanks!

There is a guide "First Steps with the Documentation Team" on the wiki at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

Hopefully people here might be able to help too. Many thanks for getting
involved in helping the Documentation Team! I've seen you help a lot on
the Users Mailing List too so it's all very appreciated.
Thanks and regards from

I'm Gary. The 'joining the LibreOffice Document Team document says to introduce myself on the list, and as I can't remember that I've done that, I'm doing it now! I've signed up to help with review of the documentation, with a particular interest in helping with base. my current work - which is also voluntary - involves me learning <spit> MS </spit> Access; at home I use LO for any office type tasks, and I use it wherever possible at work as well. I'm still very new to databases in general, but it's been something I've been meaning to get around to learning for ages, and this seems as good a way as any!

Let me know where and how to get started,
/Gary

Hey Gary,

Great to have you volunteering! So I believe you'll want to check out:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/7/74/Producing-LO-userguides.pdf

If you go to the "How to Review a Chapter" section - I believe that's
where the documentation team is at in the process. There are several
chapters still needing reviewed. If you haven't already set up and
ODFAuthor account, please let us know (preferably in a new email thread).

Best,
Joel

Hi :slight_smile:
Gary did join last week sometime.

I am not sure if he is already registered on ODFAuthors and i have no idea
how to check. My fault! I should have learned much more about ODFAuthors
- to register people and take the burden off otherwise already very busy
people.

We have been trying to hold off on proof-reading or reviewing the first few
chapters of Base because he'd said he was keen to start on Base. It's one
(of many) reason why Peter G jumped in to doing the Forms chapter
straight-away.
Apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Gary has been registered on ODFAuthors. Gary, you should have received an email.

Tom, you do not have the permissions required to register people or
even see who is registered. The small group that maintains the
ODFAuthors website is NOT the LibreOffice Documentation Team, although
there is some overlap in people. Our sysadmin does not want very many
people to have admin access; we've had problems in the past with "too
many cooks".

--Jean

Thanks, yes, I've just set my password. Yahoo had very considerately consigned a whole bundle of my emails to my spam folder, it seems to do this quite at random :frowning:
/Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
I wasn't suggesting me and i agree about the "too many cooks". I'm too
inconsistent; too rash at times and too absent at others.

I think Joel would be a good back-up person for this. His natural talents
lay in that direction and he's good at checking lots of variables before
taking action.

What I'm mainly interested in is going through the documentation for base and checking that the processes are correct - i.e. that things work the way the documentation says it should. To this end I have just downloaded BH4202 creatng a database and BH4203 Tables to take home and have a look at over the weekend. I haven't yet got my head around the signing process, and time here in the office is a bit short today. I'll be on LO4.3.2 win86, I think that's the right one.
Hopefully I'll get into the swing of the way things work here very soon!!
best,
/Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
I think you need the 4.2.6 version, here's a link to it
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?type=win-x86&version=4.2.6&lang=en-US

It might be a good idea to save this wiki-page too
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

It helps to have the 4.2.6 alongside whichever version you normally use

I think i have updated the Status Wiki correctly but please let me know.
It's easy to sign chapters in again after the weekend if you didn't get
time to have a look through them. I'd be surprised if you have time to
even get through 1 tbh but it's good to have choices and they are
available.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Status_of_tasks_BH_v4.2