Five chapters of Writer 4.2 Guide awaiting review

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes, i saw the email from Nino. It makes a lot of sense.

I've no idea how documentation would handle something like this. Perhaps in
a coloured box? or in the Preface or Intro (as Mac 's are handled)?

If you can't make sense of a section then maybe it needs a bit of
re-writing? That'd have to wait until the next version. On the other hand
maybe it's just time you took a break, or read on past the section and then
return to it later?

Kevin O'Brien-2 wrote

It was from the repos. I only download from the website on Windows.

I see that Nino Novak is saying that the KDE desktop is intercepting the
calls, which certainly fits what I am seeing. If so, there is nothing to
be
done except possibly adding an explanatory note in the documentation, but
that is not my call, and in any case you should probably confirm what I am
seeing.

I'm still trying to figure out the conditional content. I have gone over
it
about 20 times and somehow it isn't clicking for me. I can do the steps,
but somehow the part about triggering the choice/condition is just isn't
making nay sense to me.
<g>

Kevin B. O'Brien

zwilnik2@

http://google.me/+kevinobrien
Facebook is Evil. Cancel your account.

Nino wrote

I'm going to come back to it, but I agree a bit of re-writing is probably
in order. But I can't do that until I can understand what it is trying to
do.

Other than the two things mentioned, the only thing I noted was a date
field that to me made no sense on page 9. Who can I ask about this, in case
it does actually make sense and I could not see it? I responded to an
e-mail by Jean, but I gather Sophie may have a role, and I am not entirely
clear yet.

Thanks,

Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry you haven't had any responses! It might be worth posting the new
issue in it's own thread and give it a suitable subject-line. This mailing
list should be a good place to ask such questions to avoid the team-leaders
having to do tooo much work. I'm sure there are people on this mailing
list who are able to help with such issues!

Hi Kevin,

I'm going to come back to it, but I agree a bit of re-writing is probably
in order. But I can't do that until I can understand what it is trying to
do.

Other than the two things mentioned, the only thing I noted was a date
field that to me made no sense on page 9. Who can I ask about this, in case
it does actually make sense and I could not see it? I responded to an
e-mail by Jean, but I gather Sophie may have a role, and I am not entirely
clear yet.

You mean here:

Hi Jean,

I found only two screenshots that I thought needed to be changed. I
did them on a Mac, so they don't match the ones from Windows, but I
don't consider that a problem. The rest of the book is mainly done
with Windows pix, so I see no reason why you can't use them in this
chapter from Windows, too, if I missed some that have changed.

Ok, so I raise my hand to do the review for chapter 13 until mid next week.

There are two screenshots, image 1 and 22, that I can't renew because my LibO won't change the buttons from German to English (neither 4.2.5 nor 4.3.2; other buttons were changed).
I published the chapter in ODFAuthors and wiki.

Hi Jean,

Where is everyone? Is no one willing or available to review anything?
If not, then I'll just publish them as is. Quality assurance on
documentation is desirable, but if we hang around indefinitely waiting
for people, it means nothing gets published.

I reviewed the WG 4.2 Preface now. It is, from my side, ready for publishing.
If no one will take care of it I will publish it at weekend.

Chapters are here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/drafts-v4.2/

I put it in here.

Hi :slight_smile:
Superb! Good work :))

On page 8 the 2nd bullet-point has sub-points that start on the subsequent
page. The bottom of page 9 has a little space so it might be nice to push
the last bullet-point on page 8 down a line or so until it's forced to the
top of page 9.

That sort of thing is more for the proof-reading stage rather than the
review stage isn't it?

(Sorry, just trying to figure out the boundaries between the different
processes)
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Some mistakes remain in that chapter. I will upload a corrected
chapter later today.

Also, I think the level of detail in the "What's New" section is too
great, and there are too many x-refs to external websites (good to
have on the LO website or wiki, but not so good in a book IMO). I
would like to amend that section.

--Jean

Hey all,

I could do a little bit of review work, if you'd like.

It's been a while since I've contributed, but I see no problem helping out
a great cause.

Best,
Preston

Jean,

I will take a look at the "What's New" section, and remove the x-refs,
replacing them with footnotes as needed.

What do you think?

Best,
Preston

I think that whole section is too detailed and most -- probably all --
of those x-refs are not needed and should be deleted.

--Jean

Great. I'll do that right away.

Hey everyone,

I've uploaded a revised draft by Jean and I.

Cheers~

Hi all,

Where is everyone? Is no one willing or available to review anything?
If not, then I'll just publish them as is. Quality assurance on
documentation is desirable, but if we hang around indefinitely waiting
for people, it means nothing gets published.

Chapters are here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/drafts-v4.2/

We have three chapters to do:

12 TOCS, Indexes
15 Forms
A Shortcuts

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Writer_Guide

Who takes care of one of them?

Does anybody know about chapter 14?

Hi :slight_smile:
I am not sure but i think someone, KO(?), is working on Chapter 14
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Status_of_tasks_-WG-_LO_v4.2

I'm even less sure about Chapter 15, Forms. Peter Goggin expressed
interest just before he vanished. So he might be working on it already or
might have been distracted by having to sort out his email-client or ISP or
something.

So if 2 people here could take on one of the 2 other chapters;
12, Table of Contents, Indexes
Appendix A, Shortcuts
then that would be great.

I had a little go at reviewing Shortcut, i mean how hard could that be?!
Once again i found myself running into problems that none of the rest of
you seem to find at all difficult. I could try blaming Ubuntu or my
install on Ubuntu or that my ham-fisted use of LibreOffice over the years
has messed up the tool-bars and stuff so much that it's difficult to see
what's going on. Really though i just don't know how you folks manage to
do it at all, let alone to make it look so easy.

AFAIK, Peter Goggin is working on the Forms chapter in the Base Handbook,
not the one in the Writer Guide.

I did a review of 14 (Fields), but I may not have handled the paperwork
properly. I did not have an account on Authors when I volunteered. I noted
three things in my review:

1. A date field was inserted that looked like a mistake. I believe Sophie
confirmed it was an error and said she would remove it.
2. I noted that the keyboard shortcuts did not work for me. My guess is
that it is a KDE problem. Tom, I thought you were going to confirm this,
but I am comfortable with what I found at this point. The questions here is
whether the Guide should say anything about this. I think Jean or Sophie
needs to make that call.
3. I could not make sense of the section on Conditionals. I could click the
buttons and get similar screen shots, but I could not understand exactly
what it was supposed to be doing. I can give ti a try again this weekend,
but I think this is a section that should be rewritten since it is not at
all clear what it is doing. Tom you suggested that would be a good idea,
but for a later version of the guide. I will keep this idea on my todo list
if that is agreeable to everyone, and see how to offer a rewrite for a
future version.

So, I did a review of Ch.14 with the above results, but I did not formally
do a check-out of the chapter. What should I do now to move this forward? I
now have my Authors account so I can log in and do whatever is needed.

Thanks,

Put your reviewed file here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/feedback-4.2

Tell us you've done that. Amend the Tasks page on the wiki,
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Writer_Guide

I'll take it from there. Thanks!

There is a guide "First Steps with the Documentation Team" on the wiki at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

Hopefully people here might be able to help too. Many thanks for getting
involved in helping the Documentation Team! I've seen you help a lot on
the Users Mailing List too so it's all very appreciated.
Thanks and regards from

I'm Gary. The 'joining the LibreOffice Document Team document says to introduce myself on the list, and as I can't remember that I've done that, I'm doing it now! I've signed up to help with review of the documentation, with a particular interest in helping with base. my current work - which is also voluntary - involves me learning <spit> MS </spit> Access; at home I use LO for any office type tasks, and I use it wherever possible at work as well. I'm still very new to databases in general, but it's been something I've been meaning to get around to learning for ages, and this seems as good a way as any!

Let me know where and how to get started,
/Gary