Five chapters of Writer 4.2 Guide awaiting review

Writer Chapter 14 - Fields

I have run into something that looks like a problem, but on Page 17,
Keyboard Shortcuts, I am not getting that working on any machine with KDE
(in this case, Kubuntu 14.04). On Windows and Ubuntu 14.04 they seem to
work fine. Ctrl+F2 should bring up the Insert Fields window, but it isn't
doing that. Should I ignore this? Is it unique to me?

Regards,

Kevin,

AFAIK in KDE Ctrl+Fx brings up Desktop #X - so these keys are intercepted by
the OS and not passed through to the application (i.e. LibreOffice).

(If you learn how to disable temporarily this interception I'd like to know
it as I have been googling it several times but did never find a working
solution)

Regards,
Nino

Kevin,

AFAIK in KDE Ctrl+Fx brings up Desktop #X - so these keys are intercepted by
the OS and not passed through to the application (i.e. LibreOffice).

(If you learn how to disable temporarily this interception I'd like to know
it as I have been googling it several times but did never find a working
solution)

Regards,
Nino

HI :slight_smile:
I cant get to a KDE desktop until Monday and even then it's the same one
you are using, ie Kubuntu 14.04

Just out of curiosity was that LO pre-installed (or from the repos) or did
you download it from the LibreOffice website? My work's reception machine
has the one from the LibreOffice website.

It was from the repos. I only download from the website on Windows.

I see that Nino Novak is saying that the KDE desktop is intercepting the
calls, which certainly fits what I am seeing. If so, there is nothing to be
done except possibly adding an explanatory note in the documentation, but
that is not my call, and in any case you should probably confirm what I am
seeing.

I'm still trying to figure out the conditional content. I have gone over it
about 20 times and somehow it isn't clicking for me. I can do the steps,
but somehow the part about triggering the choice/condition is just isn't
making nay sense to me.<g>

Regards,

Hi Kevin,

there was a similar problem last month although this related to the "function" key. The solution here was to tweak the bios (as you do on a Sunday afternoon when you have nothing better to do :slight_smile:

I'll include the link anyway should you want to read thru'

Cheers

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/shortcut-keys-for-LibreOffice-under-Linux-td4118537.html

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes, i saw the email from Nino. It makes a lot of sense.

I've no idea how documentation would handle something like this. Perhaps in
a coloured box? or in the Preface or Intro (as Mac 's are handled)?

If you can't make sense of a section then maybe it needs a bit of
re-writing? That'd have to wait until the next version. On the other hand
maybe it's just time you took a break, or read on past the section and then
return to it later?

Kevin O'Brien-2 wrote

It was from the repos. I only download from the website on Windows.

I see that Nino Novak is saying that the KDE desktop is intercepting the
calls, which certainly fits what I am seeing. If so, there is nothing to
be
done except possibly adding an explanatory note in the documentation, but
that is not my call, and in any case you should probably confirm what I am
seeing.

I'm still trying to figure out the conditional content. I have gone over
it
about 20 times and somehow it isn't clicking for me. I can do the steps,
but somehow the part about triggering the choice/condition is just isn't
making nay sense to me.
<g>

Kevin B. O'Brien

zwilnik2@

http://google.me/+kevinobrien
Facebook is Evil. Cancel your account.

Nino wrote

I'm going to come back to it, but I agree a bit of re-writing is probably
in order. But I can't do that until I can understand what it is trying to
do.

Other than the two things mentioned, the only thing I noted was a date
field that to me made no sense on page 9. Who can I ask about this, in case
it does actually make sense and I could not see it? I responded to an
e-mail by Jean, but I gather Sophie may have a role, and I am not entirely
clear yet.

Thanks,

Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry you haven't had any responses! It might be worth posting the new
issue in it's own thread and give it a suitable subject-line. This mailing
list should be a good place to ask such questions to avoid the team-leaders
having to do tooo much work. I'm sure there are people on this mailing
list who are able to help with such issues!

Hi Kevin,

I'm going to come back to it, but I agree a bit of re-writing is probably
in order. But I can't do that until I can understand what it is trying to
do.

Other than the two things mentioned, the only thing I noted was a date
field that to me made no sense on page 9. Who can I ask about this, in case
it does actually make sense and I could not see it? I responded to an
e-mail by Jean, but I gather Sophie may have a role, and I am not entirely
clear yet.

You mean here:

Hi Jean,

I found only two screenshots that I thought needed to be changed. I
did them on a Mac, so they don't match the ones from Windows, but I
don't consider that a problem. The rest of the book is mainly done
with Windows pix, so I see no reason why you can't use them in this
chapter from Windows, too, if I missed some that have changed.

Ok, so I raise my hand to do the review for chapter 13 until mid next week.

There are two screenshots, image 1 and 22, that I can't renew because my LibO won't change the buttons from German to English (neither 4.2.5 nor 4.3.2; other buttons were changed).
I published the chapter in ODFAuthors and wiki.

Hi Jean,

Where is everyone? Is no one willing or available to review anything?
If not, then I'll just publish them as is. Quality assurance on
documentation is desirable, but if we hang around indefinitely waiting
for people, it means nothing gets published.

I reviewed the WG 4.2 Preface now. It is, from my side, ready for publishing.
If no one will take care of it I will publish it at weekend.

Chapters are here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/drafts-v4.2/

I put it in here.

Hi :slight_smile:
Superb! Good work :))

On page 8 the 2nd bullet-point has sub-points that start on the subsequent
page. The bottom of page 9 has a little space so it might be nice to push
the last bullet-point on page 8 down a line or so until it's forced to the
top of page 9.

That sort of thing is more for the proof-reading stage rather than the
review stage isn't it?

(Sorry, just trying to figure out the boundaries between the different
processes)
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Some mistakes remain in that chapter. I will upload a corrected
chapter later today.

Also, I think the level of detail in the "What's New" section is too
great, and there are too many x-refs to external websites (good to
have on the LO website or wiki, but not so good in a book IMO). I
would like to amend that section.

--Jean

Hey all,

I could do a little bit of review work, if you'd like.

It's been a while since I've contributed, but I see no problem helping out
a great cause.

Best,
Preston

Jean,

I will take a look at the "What's New" section, and remove the x-refs,
replacing them with footnotes as needed.

What do you think?

Best,
Preston

I think that whole section is too detailed and most -- probably all --
of those x-refs are not needed and should be deleted.

--Jean

Great. I'll do that right away.

Hey everyone,

I've uploaded a revised draft by Jean and I.

Cheers~

Hi all,

Where is everyone? Is no one willing or available to review anything?
If not, then I'll just publish them as is. Quality assurance on
documentation is desirable, but if we hang around indefinitely waiting
for people, it means nothing gets published.

Chapters are here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/drafts-v4.2/

We have three chapters to do:

12 TOCS, Indexes