Documentation Team needs reviewers for 5 chapter of Writer

I'd like to give it a go reviewing a chapter of Writer.

I've used LibreOffice from the beginning and OpenOffice before that (and
still). Have donated in the past and provide some support in the mailing
list mostly for Writer and Calc.

I've also been using Linux for years and am familiar with doing screen
capture to capture the screen, a region or a window to use in a document or
edit in GIMP and use.

I've seen the plea for assistance w Base documentation and would really
like to see that completed/improved but have held off throwing my hat in
out of concern that would be a bit more work than I could commit to at this
point. However doing a chapter review for Writer is something I am sure I
could do.

Waiting to know what you think.

-Alan

Hi Alan,

I'd like to give it a go reviewing a chapter of Writer.

I've used LibreOffice from the beginning and OpenOffice before that (and
still). Have donated in the past and provide some support in the mailing
list mostly for Writer and Calc.

I've also been using Linux for years and am familiar with doing screen
capture to capture the screen, a region or a window to use in a document or
edit in GIMP and use.

I've seen the plea for assistance w Base documentation and would really
like to see that completed/improved but have held off throwing my hat in
out of concern that would be a bit more work than I could commit to at this
point. However doing a chapter review for Writer is something I am sure I
could do.

Waiting to know what you think.

Please do, if you feel more comfortable here and sure to finish the
work, go ahead. And thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

Cheers
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:
Are you new to the team?

It looks like an introduction and if so then welcome in! :))

Someone will hopefully be able to register you at ODFAuthors and give you a
login name and password. Do you have a preference for username?

There is a guide to help you with your first steps in the Documentation
Team on the wiki.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
Blimey! A whole book now!

Yes, I'm new to the team.

Preferred user name "aboba"

Checked the link...
- have emailed documentation+subscribe@global.libreoffice.org

Waiting for reply.

Since the message on the mail list indicated some particular chapters need
revising I was hoping (expecting) to get pointed to a chapter to review.

A quick look at the guidance on the link and I'm not sure that's how things
happen.

In any case I'll take a stab at reviewing one chapter. Hopefully the work
will meet requirements.

-Alan

I'll get your ODFAuthors account set up. Meanwhile, you can create
your own account on the wiki if you haven't already. This page shows
which chapters have been published, which are checked out by someone,
and which are awaiting review. Looks like chapters 15 & 16 and
Appendix A still have not been taken. It's also helpful to review any
published chapter that doesn't have initials in the "Reviewed" column.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Status_of_tasks_-WG-_LO_v4.2

--Jean

Hope I got started correctly.

per this link https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development
the "Download a file for review" section

I changed the state of Chapter 16 of the Writer Guide.

Step 4 of the instruction reads... Change the file's status: Click "State:
Pending review" and select Retract. (It changes to "State: Internal
draft".)

"State" was actually "Externally visible". However Retract was an option on
the list and after I selected Retract the state did change to Internal
Draft.

-Alan

Looked there and thought about updating it but also wondered if it might be
auto updated based on the checkout.

I thought the idea of checkout is to be sure no one else would checkout at
the same time. Kind of like a file lock. So by doing the checkout others
wouldn't grab that chapter (wouldn't be able to actually) thinking they
would do the work.

Anyway thanks for doing the update. It's all a learning process for me.

-Alan

Hi :slight_smile:
I'm learning too and there have been quite a few new people just recently
signed-up, so hopefully it helps other people too.

I'm not sure but this wiki-page might be good to update;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks#Status_of_tasks_-WG-_LO_v4.2

Do we still need to show people outside of ODFAuthors (such as me) what the
current status is of the various chapters? I'd kinda appreciate it but i
might be alone and this is the first time i've looked at the page in
years.

It looks useful so i updated it for you jic