Impress Guide Version 4.2

Hello

Version 4.2 of the Impress Guide Chapter 10 Printing, E-mailing, Exporting,
and Saving Slide Shows is now in the Drafts LO4.2 folder on the ODF Authors
website ready for review and comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/draft-lo-4.2/ig-lo4-2-chap-10-printing-e-mailing-exporting-and-saving-slide-shows/view

Regards

PeterS

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file for Chapter 10. The correct one is now in
the Drafts LO4.2 folder on the ODF Authors website.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/draft-lo-4.2/ig-lo4-2-chap-10-printing-e-mailing-exporting-and-saving-slide-shows/view

Regards

PeterS

Hi :slight_smile:
Great work! Cooking on gas!
Much appreciated!

Hello

Version 4.2 of the Impress Guide Preface (Chap 00) is now in the Drafts
LO4.2 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for review and comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/draft-lo-4.2/ig-lo4-2-chap-00-preface/view

Regards

PeterS

I'll get on to your three latest files soon, Peter. The book is
galloping along; that's great.

--Jean

Only Chap 11 and Appendix A to. Soon be finished and then onto the Draw Guide.

Regards

Peter Schofield

Hi :slight_smile:
That is looking really good! Well over half the guide is already up on the
wiki
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Impress_Guide

So the Impress Guide only has 3 or maybe even just 2 chapters. It's 'just'
proof-reading and finalising those chapters announced in this thread so far
and the 2 or 3 yet to be done.

Good work! :slight_smile:

Hello

Version 4.2 of the Impress Guide Chapter 11 Setting Up & Customizing Impress
is now in the Drafts LO4.2 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for
review and comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/draft-lo-4.2/ig-lo4-2-chap-11-setting-up-and-customizing-impress/view

Regards

PeterS

Hi :slight_smile:
This is amazing! Really fast!!

Many regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello Tom

It all depends on the chapter. I have got to know Impress and Draw fairly well now and that makes it a lot easier. I have no specific method expect for starting at Page 1 for each chapter.

Regards

Peter Schofield

Hello

Version 4.2 of the Impress Guide Appendix A Keyboard Shortcuts (Chap 12) is
now in the Drafts LO4.2 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for review
and comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/impress-guide/draft-lo-4.2/ig-lo4-2-chap-12-appendix-a-keyboard-shortcuts/view

The Impress Guide is now completely updated to Version 4.2. Next is the Draw
Guide to Version 4.3.

Regards

PeterS

I'll get the last few chapters published this weekend and compile the book.
Thanks, Peter!
--Jean

I have now published the last chapters and compiled and published the
book in ODT and PDF.
Printed copy coming soon.

Peter, I had some minor changes in several files as I spotted problems
when compiling. Things like the first step of the first numbered list
in a chapter not being explicitly set to Restart Numbering. Also fixed
some inconsistencies I had failed to fix earlier on some of the
copyright pages. Revised chapter files are now on ODFAuthors and on
the Publications page of the wiki.

--Jean

Would you like me to proofread it?

Hazel Russman <hazeldebian@gmail.com>

That would be great, Hazel. Thank you. Every time I look at any of the
books I find little things that I missed before, and you pick them up.
No rush.

I have complete faith in both Peter and Jean (errr, and you Hazel).

Proof-reading probably does usually need to be a separate process but in
this particular case i think skipping it and going straight to the few
remaining chapters of the Writer Guide would be tactically better. I doubt
there are many, if any at all, errors in the Impress Guide even without
proofing it. Of course it is nice to know things are perfect but sometimes
"good enough" is higher quality than anything the competition is likely to
produce.

I can't believe how busy and active this team has become. I know a lot of
work that never gets reported directly to this mailing list is constantly
going on 'backstage' but it's been really great to see so much suddenly
appear front-and-centre.

Good work all!! Fantastic job!
Many regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Tom,

Hazel cannot proofread the remaining chapters of the Writer Guide
until someone updates them, so suggesting that she skip proofing the
Impress Guide in favour of Writer is irrelevant.

You seem to be perpetually of the erroneous opinion that all the work
that needs to be done on the various books is interchangeable: that
any volunteer can do whatever needs doing next, if only they knew what
it is. This is wrong and unhelpful. If someone doesn't feel competent
to work on updating, say, the Calc Guide, they won't do it... or if
they do, they'll likely get it wrong. I mention the Calc Guide because
I wrote a lot of the later chapters (not knowing much about
spreadsheets in general or Calc in particular) and those chapters need
more knowledgeable people to improve them.

As for the Writer Guide... where is everyone? The remaining chapters
cover fairly straightforward features that fewer people use, so a
volunteer who isn't familiar with them can still be quite helpful
going through the chapters and seeing if anything has changed in the
program or the instructions are unclear, or whatever.

--Jean

I would like to add that I feel more comfortable if someone drops me a line saying "This needs doing now and you are the obvious one to do it." You know my strengths and weaknesses by now. I have an eagle eye for spelling mistakes, bad grammar, repetitive sentences, misnumbered lists and so on. I can also translate from German and French. I am not so good at actually working through a chapter and seeing how far it matches the behaviour of the software, so I don't volunteer for that.

Hi :slight_smile:
Ahh, so a list of "suggested things to work on" might be helpful?

I keep being told that such a thing is impossible and that people would
reject any such manipulation anyway and just go off and do their own
thing.

Wrt the Calc chapters done by Jean there does, of course, need to be
someone quite knowledgeable about the Guide's topic involved at some
point(s) in the process. However there also needs to be non-experts
involved, preferably noobs to the topic, because otherwise the guides run
the risk of being too geeky and unhelpful to non-experts. Of course now
that Jean has worked so intensely on those Calc chapters it makes he more
of an expert than she had been previously so it's difficult to make sure
the team keeps getting the fresh perspective. I thought the review process
was were fairly expert people checked the technical accuracy?

Ahh, so a list of "suggested things to work on" might be helpful?

It might be helpful, but someone has to do it and keep it up to date;
sometimes the list would change rapidly. And I'm not the someone to
take care of such a list (I am capable, but I don't).

Also, Hazel said 'I feel more comfortable if someone drops me a line
saying "This needs doing now and you are the obvious one to do it."'
-- that is not the same thing as having a list. I often, though not
consistently, do write to her about things to do.

I keep being told that such a thing is impossible and that people would
reject any such manipulation anyway and just go off and do their own
thing.

Having a list is not "manipulation" but people will do their own thing
and/or not choose the most urgent items on the list. Example: I choose
not to create and update a list, no matter how important others may
think it might be.

Wrt the Calc chapters done by Jean there does, of course, need to be
someone quite knowledgeable about the Guide's topic involved at some
point(s) in the process. However there also needs to be non-experts
involved, preferably noobs to the topic, because otherwise the guides run
the risk of being too geeky and unhelpful to non-experts. Of course now
that Jean has worked so intensely on those Calc chapters it makes he more
of an expert than she had been previously so it's difficult to make sure
the team keeps getting the fresh perspective. I thought the review process
was were fairly expert people checked the technical accuracy?

Part of the review process is supposed to be checking for technical
accuracy. However, if no one does it, then it doesn't get done. Either
someone (not me) spends time trying to find appropriate people to do
reviews, or the chapters and books are delayed indefinitely, or
chapters and books get published without needed review.

--Jean