Base Handbook Annex

I have uploaded the new material from this. That completes the new
(i.e. post 3.5) material in the handbook.

Hazel

Hi :slight_smile:
Superb! This is all great to hear about.

There is a bit of a discussion on the Users List right now about macros vs
Sql. Someone new is trying to move a warehouse or factory or something
away from MS Office dependence and these guides and handbook really help
people do that
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello *,

there are many little example-databases for the German Base-Handbuch.
They would show how to send a mail from Base, how to search for data and
much more.

Could be the databases mustn't be translated. See here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/3/3d/Beispieldatenbanken_V42.zip

Regards

Robert

Hi :slight_smile:
I really like the handbook for being short(ish) and completed fairly
quickly each time.

Are there enough example databases be put together to form another book of
their own? Perhaps some title such as "Practical exercises with Base" or
something?

Hi Tom,

Are there enough example databases be put together to form another book of
their own? Perhaps some title such as "Practical exercises with Base" or
something?

The examples would show one special problem of Base. There are about 15
examples.
Seems to be a good idea to start another book, which declares all this
examples. I will first try to edit this in German. Hope it would be
ready with the final release of LO 4.3.

Regards

Robert

Hi Tom,

How is this going? Have you been able to set-up a new area in ODFAuthors
for it? Does anyone else know how to set up an area for a new book? Does
that seem a sensible route to other people or is there a possibly better
way forwards?

I 'm not working with ODF-Authors. I could only find the fist German
Base Handbook there. The Handbook is only edited by a few people. So we
contacted by E-Mail.

I will write about the examples, because I have created the examples. I
will see, if there is somebody in the German mailinglist or in a forum,
whou would read it before I will publish it. The book about the
example-databases would be published here:
http://de.libreoffice.org/hilfe-kontakt/handbuecher/.

Regards

Robert

Hi :slight_smile:
How is this going? Have you been able to set-up a new area in ODFAuthors
for it? Does anyone else know how to set up an area for a new book? Does
that seem a sensible route to other people or is there a possibly better
way forwards?

Hi Tom,

Have the German Lists discussed possibly having the examples as a separate
handbook? What are their thoughts about it?

There hasn't been any discussion about the examples. All the examples
were created by me.

I like the idea of being able to update one without needing more effort
than is currently needed and then the other one maybe in the next cycle.

Let us see, how many example-databases I have been described, when the
next LO-version (4.3) is ready.

Regards

Robert

Hi :slight_smile:
Have the German Lists discussed possibly having the examples as a separate
handbook? What are their thoughts about it?

I like the idea of being able to update one without needing more effort
than is currently needed and then the other one maybe in the next cycle.

Many thanks, Hazel. I think that Chapter 1 may have some rewritten
(expanded) portions, not listed as "new" on Robert's spreadsheet, that
you might like to have a look at if you have the time.

Now if someone would start incorporating the newly translated material
into the old chapters to create new chapters, we can move this along
towards publication.

BTW team, I'm still travelling in North America, but no longer in the
Canadian/Alaskan wilderness. Now that I'm back in the lands of
accessible and affordable Internet, I'm hoping to catch up on two
weeks of accumulated email and nudge y'all along a bit as usual --
though I'm unlikely to have time to do much if any actual work for
another two weeks until I get home.

--Jean

I checked: I couldn't find any.

Hi Hazel, Jean,

I think that Chapter 1 may have some rewritten
(expanded) portions, not listed as "new" on Robert's spreadsheet, that
you might like to have a look at if you have the time.

I checked: I couldn't find any.

I haven't change anything of the content in chapter "Einführung in Base"
- could be this chapter is meant for chapter 1 - up to LO Version 4.2.
There would be added a description of a complete simple Exampledatabase
in Version 4.3.

Regards

Robert