Base Handbuch v4.2?

Robert,
I see chapters of Base Handbuch v4.2, dated February 2014, here:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb/

Are these published or still in development? I want to encourage
people to translate them into English, or at least the parts that are
new since v3.5.

--Jean

There are 4 different Base Handbuch finished. They are published here:
http://de.libreoffice.org/hilfe-kontakt/handbuecher/

Version 4.2 had been finished with the release of V4.2 . If somebody is
looking for the new database Firebird there is not much included in this
version, because the internal Firebird database isn't a good alternative
for the HSQLDB at this moment.
There is one separate paper added for the difference between HSQLDB and
Firebird.

Regards

Robert

Robert, you provided a spreadsheet with the changes (mostly added
sections) in the book from v3.5 to v4.1. Do you also have a list of
changes to v4.2?

--Jean

How do these differ from the ones that I did last year?

Hi :slight_smile:
The internal HsqlDb appears to have lost data for quite a few people
in just normal database usage. Is Firebird also likely to lose data
for people? Base only appears robust when using an external back-end.
Have bug-reports been filed against the Firebird back-end? Does the
handbook help people understand that an external back-end is really
needed?

Note that it's not the fault of HsqlDb itself as using the proper
version straight from their website as a back-end apparently works
very well. It's only the heavily tweaked version inside Base that
creates problems.

Errr, it is great to see documentation that helps people through and
that seems to have greatly helped loads of people on the Users Mailing
List. Congrats to all for translating and modifying it. It is MUCH
appreciated. It also seems to have helped attract more attention to
it and enabled the LO devs to have made some good moves forwards. I'm
sure Firebird will work better in future versions. It takes a lot of
courage to work on something so complicated and broken so thanks all
of you who did dare to get involved and congras for helping move
things forwards as a result! :))

Mainly lots of new material. Some rewording of existing material. IMO
the new material is what we most want to have translated.

--Jean

Hi *,

first let me write down: you mustn't set me in CC. I'm reading this list.

The internal HsqlDb appears to have lost data for quite a few people
in just normal database usage. Is Firebird also likely to lose data
for people? Base only appears robust when using an external back-end.
Have bug-reports been filed against the Firebird back-end? Does the
handbook help people understand that an external back-end is really
needed?

Problem is the backup of data from the internal HSQLDB. Best you could
do is to backupd the data every time you open the HSQLDB. I have added
such a macro in the Handbuch.

Note that it's not the fault of HsqlDb itself as using the proper
version straight from their website as a back-end apparently works
very well. It's only the heavily tweaked version inside Base that
creates problems.

Same with Firebird. External firebird has only the problem: Autovalue
isn't implemented, must be written in SQL for every table. Internal
Firebird has too many problems yet. We hope it would be better, because
there are functions in the external Firebird many people would need, for
example the function "List".

Regards

Robert

Hi all,

Same with Firebird. External firebird has only the problem: Autovalue
isn't implemented, must be written in SQL for every table. Internal
Firebird has too many problems yet. We hope it would be better, because
there are functions in the external Firebird many people would need, for
example the function "List".

FWIW, I agree with Robert. Firebird is an "experimental" option at
present in 4.2. In other words, the user doesn't even get to see that
there is the possibility to create an embedded firebird db unless they
turn on the experimental options in LO's preferences.

Assuming that someone foolhardy enough will do that, and then complain
that it doesn't work as intended (which Robert, I, and others all know
about as we filed/validated the bug reports), I still don't think it is
worth concentrating our documentation efforts (including translation) on
an embedded db engine which still has too many failings to be of any
daily, practical, use. The aim of the tool is to be a replacement for
embedded hsqldb and for the moment, this is simply not the case.

Connecting to an external firebird db has worked for a while now anyway,
certainly before 4.2 (at least with the jdbc or odbc driver, but again
this is not part of the novelties included in 4.2.

Alex

Hi :slight_smile:
+1

I think the Firebird internal back-end will improve but since it's not
there already there's no point documenting it yet.

I think it would be good to make the point that Base works better when
using an external back-end, even if the processes for doing that are not
detailed in any way in the handbook. Even just mentioning that clearly in
the handbook would be good imo