GS4205 Calc

Hi
I've gone over this chapter and added text and screen shots for the Sidebar. The screen shots may need replacing with ones taken in the OS, or not used at all, that the others are taken in.
There are a number of errors which need to be checked and agreed by the original reviewer, Martin?, Peter? These are all commented. There are also some queries, left in comments, which should be assessed, and finally the odd suggestion, which can be taken up or rejected as is seen fit.
The file has been placed back into the Drafts folder here;
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc/view

Regards
JohnS

Hello John,

I'll take a look at replacing screen shots and reviewing the chapter later.

Thanks,

Martin

I'm having a look at this now and will put it back soon so Martin can
replace screenshots as needed. I'll let you know. --Jean

I've put it here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs4-2-ch5-calc-1/view

--Jean

Just seen this; I'll replace screenshots tomorrow.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin
Just had another look at this chapter out of curiosity and I see you've replied to a comment I left, regarding a cell's content changing immediately when the formatting is changed, from say, a number to text.
I have 4.2.3.1 on WinXP and I've just tried this again. The format does not change until new data is entered into the reformatted cell. This looks like a definite bug in light of your comment reply.
Would you redo the text in the guide to reflect what you're getting instead of the text I wrote there?
I'll raise a bug report for this and submit it.
Thanks.
Regards
JohnS

Hi again.
I've had an almost instant resolution to this bug report from Eike Rathke, who I believe is one of the chief developers with regards to Calc.
He responds;

Applying a cell format NEVER changes existing cell content. On purpose.

He classes it as 'Resolved' and 'Not A Bug'. So here's the quandary, if it's doing it on your system, then it appears to be a bug related to your OS. It's possible I may not have phrased the bug report too well and it's been misunderstood, even though I included a spreadsheet attachment with the report illustrating what was happening. So I don't think this is likely to be the case.
Would you mind having a look at the bug report <77025> and see what you think? If I've not screwed it up and the behaviour is as described by you in the comment reply in the chapter, would you mind raising a bug report yourself?
I hate to let these things just slide.

Regards
JohnS