libreoffice writer guide

I have made quite a considerable effort looking in this documentation for the command to start libreoffice. And I cannot find it. How to use libreoffice once I have got it started is not much use if I can't start it.

What it the command to start it, please?

Regards,

Jeremy Dawson

Not sure about your question. Do you mean starting from a command
line? If so, which platform?

Usually, on any platform, it's started in the graphical user
interface, and the many ways to do that are described in Chapter 1 of
the Getting Started book, if they are not in Chapter 1 of the Writer
Guide.

--Jean

Hi Jeremy.

The first thing you need to tell everyone is what operating system are
you trying to launch it on? Linux? Windows? OSX? And how did you
download/install it?

Clayton

I think the commands are soffice, swriter, scalc, etc, with various
switches as for OOo, but I'm not anywhere that I can easily look it up
right now.

Clayton, or someone else on this list, may have more info handy.

--Jean

I have made quite a considerable effort looking in this documentation for
the command to start libreoffice. And I cannot find it. How to use
libreoffice once I have got it started is not much use if I can't start
it.

What it the command to start it, please?

Regards,

Jeremy Dawson

[snip]

Hi Jean,

Yes, starting from a command line. In Linux, Fedora 20.

Just like for openoffice, one would type "oowriter", or for staroffice, one
would type "soffice"

Thanks for the advice about getting it started in the graphical user
interface, and the many ways to do that but I assume the developers haven't
deliberately removed my choice of working how I find easiest

Regards,

Jeremy Dawson

system is Linux, Fedora 20 distribution,
installed by
yum install libreoffice-writer

Hi Jeremy

The LibreOffice documentation only covers the generic installs for
Linux. The docs cannot go into the specifics for each distro, or we'd
be here for years just trying to cover all the variations. The Linux
install instructions in the LibreOffice documentation does cover how
to install the generic LibreOffice from the downloaded bundle
(RPM/DEB)... but that's not what you're doing if you're using yum to
do the install on Fedora 20.

When you installed with "yum install libreoffice-writer", you didn't
install all of libreoffice. For Fedora, from command line, you need
to use:

  yum install libreoffice

This is the top level that should pull in the minimum dependencies for
LibreOffice (note that it's libreoffice not libreoffice-writer). I
don't have my Fedora 20 up and running at the moment... I can't
remember if this installs the Gnome/KDE integration for you (depending
on which window manager you are using).

Assuming all went well, LibreOffice should be available in your menus.
If not, you can launch from command line using:

  soffice

(Note: You may also be able to use "libreoffice" on the command line
to launch LibreOffice... this should work on most distros... "soffice"
though should always work)

Clayton

Thanks, Jean,

soffice (here, at work, on Ubuntu) gives you something which enables
you to choose among Writer, Spreadsheet, etc. The other commands you
mention aren't recognized.

Re switches, there seems to be no man page for soffice, in the Ubuntu
distribution
(package libreoffice-common, Version: 1:3.5.7-0ubuntu5)

regards,

Jeremy

Hi :slight_smile:
Usually find LibreOffice in the menus. On WIndows pre-Win8 try

"Start" button - "All Programs" - LibreOffice

Most other OSes have something similar. Not quite sure about Macs.
Is there a particular need for using the command-line to start
LibreOffice or was it just difficult to find in the menus?

Just forwarding Jeremy's reply.

Seems the issue is closed now.

Clayton

Greetings,
No manpage, but try

    soffice --help

for supported command line options. You may need an absolute path specified for soffice if the path to soffice is not in your $PATH variable.

Note that soffice is a plain text shell script which eventually invokes soffice.bin, so you may want to look at soffice for more information.

HTH
Girvin Herr