OSX version 10.9.1

Has LibreOffice been certified to run under Maverick OSX 10.9.1? If so, which version should I use?

Thank you,
Lloyd Sevold
dsevold@diamondcity.net

Hello Lloyd

I am running LO 4.1.4 on a MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.9.1 without any problems. Never worried about certification as LO has always performed well on my Apple computers.

To install LO on the later Mac OS, you may have to go to Settings > Sercurity & Privacy and select Anywhere in the section “Allow apps downloaded from:”. Default setting for Security & Privacy is Mac App Store.

Regards

PeterS

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

The documentation mailing list is not the best place to ask these
questions, as it is focused on documentation (as the name implies) and
not on user support by volunteer members. Please use the users@ mailing
list, or the ask.libreoffice.org website.

To answer your question, LibreOffice 4.1.4 is duly signed to work with
Mavericks (I am writing from a MacBook Air with 10.9.1 installed), but
you must change the security settings to accept also software which is
downloaded from a website and not just from Apple Store.

Once you have installed LibreOffice and launched it for the first time
you can revert the settings, and this should not create problems (but
when you update the software you should remember to repeat the same
process).

Best, Italo

http://www.italovignoli.org/2012/08/libreoffice-and-mountain-lion-macos-x-10-8/

Hi :slight_smile:
Italo, Peter or someone else, is there a good guide (that you could
give us a link to) on how to get the Gateway Security to let us
install LibreOffice?

I managed to install on a MacBook Pro but didn't know how to deal with
the Gateway Security issue. So now i can't just double-click on Odt
files to open them and LibreOffice doesn't appear in the contet menus
but if i open LibreOffice first and then drag the file onto it or use
the LibreOffice
File - Open
menu then i can open the file easily and there are no further
problems. Luckily the person rarely uses that machine and rarely uses
uses Odt, at the moment but i'm going to need to solve the last little
detail in the next few weeks.

Oh btw, congrats to Italo on getting soem nice quotes into a ZdNet article!
http://www.zdnet.com/like-driving-a-ferrari-at-20mph-why-one-region-ditched-microsoft-office-for-libreoffice-7000025246/
It deals neatly with the (in my opinion and experience) false
impression that people have about MS Office having more advanced
features than LibreOffice. It goes with the idea that most people use
the same 15% of features as each other and that 15% is more than
adequately covered by LibreOffice. So upgrading from an old MS Office
to LO cost them around ÂŁ50/machine where an upgrade to MS Office 2010
or 365 or anything else would have been around ÂŁ250/machine.

Err i have used ÂŁ because i don't have a Euro key on my keyboard and
i've only given very rough figures. It does kinda "get my goat" a bit
because i think LO does have advanced features and even makes some of
them much easier to access than MS Office (notably Base connecting to
external back-end by default rather than Access requiring some
hacking). Also the quality of finished documents is much higher with
much less faffing around and there is no problem opening documents on
other versions of LO. However, if MS Office users feel they can't
move away from MSO then this article kinda blows that away ;)))

Good work all, and many thanks from
Tom :slight_smile:

The point is that run of the mill OSX users do not want to be turning
off a security feature that the operating system provides for them.

Telling people to turn off built-in security, install an app, and then
turn it back on again afterwards, is not the solution and will not
endear people to trying out LO, and/or keeping it. Oh wait, I forgot,
you have to turn it off again every time you do an update of LO or every
time you want to install a language pack, or else leave it off permanently.

I find it hard to accept that we advise users to upgrade their versions
of LO in general when sec vulns get fixed whilst telling the OSX
population to turn off their own security mechanisms, seems somewhat
hypocritical to me.

Of course, if you don't care, then you can leave the setting off by
default, but that is not what happens in default off the shelf sales of
Apple hard/software combinations and those are the people we are trying
to target.

Of course, none of this will be sorted until such time as LibreOffice is
available in the AppleStore as a certified app, but that will not happen
soon, if at all, if my understanding of Apple's conditions for accepting
apps is correct.

Alex

LibreOffice should be able to get into the AppleStore in the future,
although I am not convinced at all of the advantages. I have worked as a
consultant for Apple for quite a few years, and I know what it means to
software houses (I have also worked for Macromedia and Adobe, when they
were both major Apple partners).

Hi :slight_smile:
I agree but this "Gateway" thing is a recent development. LO is not
the only app suffering from this problem and hopefully someone will
find an answer to it at some stage = not necessarily a LibreOffice
person. The current answer is just a work-around until a better
answer can be made more permanent.

At the moment you either pay money to Apple and thus get into their
App Store (and thus get a green-light when people try to install) or
they treat you with contempt, give your app the red-light and claim
your app is unsafe. Hopefully some "orange light" scenario might be
fought for and LO might fit in with that.

Otherwise ALL apps are going to have to charge money (and set up some
sort of tracking system or just charge every user every time and for
every "upgrade" or "update")! Since all other OSes allow people to
install apps for free i can't imagine Apple users staying happy with
all this.

I guess the discussions mailing list and BoD are discussing all this.

It might be interesting for some of us to go over there and find out
how much it costs to get in, would each of the Guides be counted as a
separate app? How much do other apps charge for their guides. etc.

Tom,
User guides are not apps. Several of our user guides are (or were) in
the iBooks store, because Lulu.com will put them there at no charge to
us. However, the rapidity of user guide production for updates to the
software, and the slowness of getting books into the iBooks store,
means it's not a very useful exercise nor one I pursue.

--Jean

Turning off the Mac's security is not the only way around the problem,
at least not on Mavericks and I don't think on Mountain Lion either.
If Italo's article (which I don't have time to look at right now to
refresh my memory) doesn't cover the way I do it, then I should write
a short how-to on the topic. I have two Macs running different
versions of OS X.

--Jean

Hello Italo

I have installed a few applications where there is a gateway issue, that is the application would not install. The only way round this problem is to change the security settings in Settings > Security & Privacy. You select “Anywhere”. After installation of the application, you go back to the previous security setting. The default setting is “Mac App Store”. I have my MacBook Pro set to “Mac App Store and identified developers”.

Initial installation of LO, I had to use the setting “Anywhere”, but the LO upgrades have installed without any problem because I use “Mac App Store and identified developers” as security setting. That to me indicates that LO is an identified developer. Is this true?

Regards

PeterS

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

Hi :slight_smile:
I thought i saw the guides in the Ubuntu Apps Store but i guess it's
just my eyes playing tricks on me. Since they are not apps they
couldn't possibly be in there right??

Oh, very funny. So Ubuntu puts them in their App Store? Why should Apple
classify them that way? Why do you assume no one has already checked on
this with Apple? You blither on about so many things you apparently know
nothing about or haven't bothered to fact check. It's really tiresome.

--Jean

Thanks, Peter. That probably explains why I've had no further problems
installing LO; I'd forgotten that I set my security the same way quite some
time ago. BTW, my assumption (not yet fact checked) is that once someone
with an admin account accepts an app on a machine, the
developer is "identified" on that machine for purposes of upgrades to that
app.

--Jean