Microsoft Migration Guide

Hello,

I've been on the mailing list for several months, but I don't believe I've
introduced myself. My name is David and I would like to work on the
Microsoft Migration Guide. Is anyone working on this?

David

Someone on the marketing list may be working on this. You might check
there as well. Unless you're the person who expressed interest on the
other list?

--Jean

For sure, the Microsoft Migration Guide is important for the
certification project, as a reference for migration professionals.

OTOH, no one is working on it at the moment, because there are other
priorities.

I'm currently a technical writer. I've been using Microsoft since its
infancy and switched to LibreOffice a few months ago. I think it would be
the easiest way for me to help, since writing it would help me learn the
software as much as anything else. However, is there something I can work
on that would be more beneficial for you guys? I can also do Spanish to
English translations.

Thanks,
David

Hi David, I think that your proposal is extremely interesting, although
I would connect it more to marketing than to documentation (as Jane has
suggested). What about having a hangout to discuss it, and put it in TDF
contest? I am based in Italy (UTC+1). Where are you based?

Hello David,

I am not the expert here, Jean is, but I feel that writing actual
end-user documentation is our primary need at this stage. Jean?

Thanks a lot for your volunteering!

Charles.

I'm in El Paso, TX, USA (UTC-7). The documentation section on the website
mentioned that they needed someone to create a Microsoft Migration Guide,
which is where I got the idea. However, it might be wise to start slower.
It looks like the How To section needs some work. I could write an article
on how to create a newsletter use LibreOffice, as well as other how-to
topics when they come to me.

David

The term "Migration Guide" seems to be used around the project to
refer to two types of documents. One is more a marketing document
providing guidance for people and companies considering changing from
Microsoft Office to LibreOffice. The other is more of a user guide
intended to help people who have been using MSO and need to learn how
to use LO. The latter is the guide that is mentioned in the Docs wiki.
It probably needs a different name to distinguish it from the
marketing document. It is, in a way, a followup to the marketing
document, but aimed very much at people actually using LO. They often
think "Oh, I can't do X with LO" when in fact they can but they
haven't discovered the different ways that LO does some things and the
different terminology used in a few places.

Back in OpenOffice 2.x days, we had such a document. Its contents list
could be improved upon, but the general concept I think is an
important one to help people make the transition. It needs to be
written by someone or several people who are familiar with current or
recent versions of MSO from a user's point of view, the terminology
used, and the placement of menus and toolbars for doing common tasks.

You can find the OOo book here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Migration_Guide

David, I really encourage you to pursue this, though I understand that
you might want to start with something less ambitious.

Regards, Jean