Uploading Base Chapters ready for review

The folder for these files is here.
www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-guide/draft-4.x/

The files are:
     Getting Started with Base
     Data Input and Removal: Tables

Both of these have had their screenshots updated for 4.2.0 already. I have externally published both chapters. I have not updated the wiki because I am getting very slow Internet service right now. (Probably many more people are accessing it causing the slow down.)

Later today I will be working on chapter 4: Data Input and Removal: Forms. Much of the material for this new chapter can be copied and pasted from the Data Input and Removal chapter. So, this chapter may well be ready by the end of January.

Since I use Calibre for creating ePUB formated files, I have learned that the last two versions of it has editing abilities that are better than Sigil. Sigil allows the searching and replace for only one internal xhtml file. Calibre can do this for all of the xhtml files at one time. This can also be done with regex expressions as well. Some things can be done better with Calibre, and other things can still be done with Calibre. I still have some experimenting to do as well as learning regex.

--Dan

Dan,

I've got a bit lost in the various "Getting Started with Base" files
you have been producing lately. Please help me sort this out so I'm
sure I've got it right.

This file's title page says it is Chapter 1 of the Base Guide. An
earlier version showed it as being in the Getting Started Guide but
was essentially the same file. If this one is in fact for the Base
Guide, I suggest we rename it "Introducing Base" or something similar,
to minimize the confusion. Would also help to use the file
naming/numbering system to make it clear to all which file is intended
for which book.

If this is for the Base Guide, does that mean that I was mistaken
about the earlier version being for the Getting Started guide? Are you
planning to produce a replacement chapter (as I recall you mentioning
earlier this year), or do you want to keep the existing one, just
updated?

--Jean

Dan,
Just to let you know... I have been editing the GS version of the
"Getting Started with Base" chapter, cleaning up the styles, and so
on. What I now plan to do is combine your latest updates with my edits
and make the resulting file available for further comment by you and
others. I hope to have this done by the end of the week.

--Jean

I had forgotten that discussion (my memory is full :slight_smile: ) but it's
coming back to me and if I took the time to search my email I'd
probably find it.

I agree that reusing the same text for both chapters is a good
approach, and if that's Dan's idea I'm fine with it. However, I'm not
in favour of trying to do it automatically. That's technically
possible but messy in a volunteer situation.

I thought there was some discussion about whether to have the chapter
identical in the GS Guide and as the 1st main chapter of the Base
Guide so that editing one would affect the other automatically. I
just wasn't sure whether it had been decided if that was a great idea
or awkward.

I have now completed my editing and have created two files. They are
identical except for their filenames and titles. One is "Getting
Started with Base" (Chapter 8 of the GS book) and is located here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.2/gs-ch8-base/view

The other is "Introducing Base" (Chapter 1 of the Base Guide) and is
located here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-guide/feedback/bg-ch1-introducing-base/view

Both files are externally visible so potential reviewers do not need
to have ODFAuthors logins to get copies of them.

I have put earlier drafts of Base Guide chapters here so people can
get them if needed:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-guide/older-drafts

--Jean