Version 4.1 Draw Guide

Not a problem Martin.

Your work has helped me greatly and I am now going through Chap 9, mainly the screenshots need changing. It will be on the ODF Authors website Monday or Tuesday.

I have been upgrading the Draw (4.1) and will complete the remaining chapters fairly quickly. Then it will be onto the Calc Guide to bring up to 4.1. The Calc chapters are being upgraded to 4.0 by other volunteers. I shall then upgrade the chapters to 4.1 so that the Calc Guide has the same look and feel throughout the guide. After that I will be moving onto the Impress Guide which is now at 4.0 to upgrade to 4.1 maybe 4.2. Just have to wait and see.

I think the best bet is to move onto the other LO modules because I think there is a shortage of volunteers to upgrade the remaining modules. I am sure Jean will advise which is the best to have a go at.

With regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

Jean here. General comment to Martin: We've been tending to skip a
point release for Getting Started and the Writer Guide, because we
haven't been able to keep them updated fast enough while at the same
time improving the content, not just updating it. Calc Guide is
something of an orphan and, as you can see, hasn't been updated since
v3.4.

The objective at this point is to finish the Calc Guide to 4.1 and
start updating GS and WG to v4.2. The first beta of LO 4.2 is due out
next week (see Release Plan,
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/4.2 and the Release
Notes, https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2

So, my suggestions to you are:
1) Go through Chapters 5, 6, 12, 13 of Calc Guide (currently listed as
LO v4.0) to see if anything needs changing for v4.1 -- or if anything
wasn't updated correctly from v3.4 to v 4.0. Also Appendix C hasn't
been updated from v3.4; you could do that. Other chapters have already
been updated to v4.1, but Peter hasn't been through all of them for
look and feel updates. People are working on Ch14 and Appendixes A and
B. I'm really hoping to get that book done by the end of November.

2) Start identifying which chapter of Getting Started and/or other
books will need updating for v4.2. Add info to this page:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks

Also would be useful to go through the existing GS book to see what
else needs updating or improvement. PLEASE NOTE: Most chapters in this
book cover material also included in other books, though topics and
level of detail vary. Therefore, noting necessary updates changes in
chapter lists for other books is very helpful.

3) I am still looking for one or more people to help with updating the
Base Handbook, which was translated from German to English. In this
case, the work involves translating new material that was added to the
German handbook for v4.1. If you are interested in helping with this
work, I can provide more info & point you to the relevant files.

4) Work on Base Guide (different book, written from scratch in
English). If you're interested in that, I'll provide more info. I'm in
the middle of rationalizing chapters of that book following recent
work by Dan Lewis (and earlier work that I've neglected to follow up
on).

--Jean

Which is more urgent, the Base Handbook or the Calc Wiki? I can do
either but not both.

Hazel

Jean,

I would also like to know what needs to be done. I'm ready to help in any
way.

Best,
Preston

Hi :slight_smile:
If i had a vote i would vote for the wiki. There is a previous
iteration of the Handbook but the wiki doesn't have a previous version
at all yet.

It might be worth sending a mail to the Users Mailing List to recruit
new people for the specific task. A general shout-out grabs some
people but others react better when they hear about a specific task
that is likely to have an end-date (and then stick around afterwards
for "just one more")

Hard to choose; IMO both are high priority, so it's really up to you.
Finishing the Calc FAQs is certainly a good thing to do.

More general comment to other team members: there are other French
FAQs and tutorials to be translated in English, if you feel
comfortable doing that. Please coordinate on this list, so you don't
duplicate effort by other team members, including in the French group.
Original French FAQs are here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/FAQ
English FAQs are here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq

--Jean

Preston,
Can you do translations from either French or German? Otherwise, what
interests you from the list in my earlier note in this thread? Some
items on that list can be conveniently broken into smaller tasks that
take less of a time commitment than others.

--Jean

Hello Jean,

Thanks for the information. I'm interested in helping write the Base guide so would appreciate more information on that.

In the meantime, I will take a look at chapter 5 (Using Graphics) of the Calc guide. If I have any spare time, I will identify and note any chapters that will need updating upon release of LO 4.2.

Thanks,

Martin

Hello

Version 4.1 of the Draw Guide Chapter 9 Adding and Formatting Text is now
the Drafts LO4.1 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for review and
comments.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/dg-ch09-adding-and-formatting-text/view

Regards

PeterS

Hello

Version 4.1 of the Draw Guide Chapter 10 Printing, Exporting & E-mailing is
now in the Drafts LO4.1 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for review
and comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/dg-ch10-printing-exporting-e-mailing/view

Regards

PeterS

Hi Peter,

being really picky there is a tip on page 18 just below figure 14 where I don't think the grammar is correct:

" create a numbered list with more than ten elements and making sure "

but that is the only mistake I can see

Cheers

Hello

Version 4.1 of the Draw Guide Chapter 11 Advanced Draw Techniques is now in
the Drafts LO4.1 folder on the ODF Authors website ready for review and
comment.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/draw-guide/draft-lo4.1/dg-ch11-advanced-draw-techniques/view

That is the last chapter and version 4.1 is now complete.

Regards

PeterS

Hi Peter,
I plan to check and publish these last three chapters today or
tomorrow and then compile the book. Great work!

Are you going to work on Calc Guide updates for v4.1 now? I've got
some of the later chapters in progress (should be finished soon), but
quite a few have been done... enough to keep you busy for awhile
anyway.

--Jean

Hello Jean

Yes, I shall be checking the Calc Guide next. By the time that is finished, it will be time for the Impress Guide to upgraded to 4.2.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

Hello

I've taken a look at chapter 6 of the Calc guide (Printing, Exporting and Emailing) with a view to updating it to the 4.1x branch.

I've uploaded an updated version of the chapter to the ODF Authors site for review and comment. It can be found here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/draft-lo4.1/chapter-6-printing-exporting-and-emailing/view

Only a few minor changes were made but there is need for a new screen shot (figure 15, page 18). Would this screen shot need to come from a Windows XP system, in order to maintain consistency throughout the Calc guides?

I've used the comment feature of Writer to label changes, but if it's preferable to just include list of changes here on the email list, please let me know.

Regards,

Martin

Hello Everyone,

Just a heads up email.

I will edit and update Calc Ch. 12 to 4.1. Please be on the lookout for an
update sometime within the week.

Best,
Preston

Chapters 9, 10, 11 of Draw Guide v4.1 are now published. Peter, I made
some minor changes, including to the chapter number on the title page
and in the file name of Ch11, and several small edits to the Tip
mentioned by Tim.

I am hoping to compile the full guide soon. Meanwhile, if anyone spots
any errors or has questions about the chapters, do speak up!

--Jean

Thank you Jean

I was going to get to Tim’s small edits later on today. You have saved me another job.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

Hello Jean,
I will work on translating the French Math FAQs to English. By the way, I'm not sure how to notify the French team I'll be working on this.

- Glen