Calc wiki FAQ

There are currently only a few entries in this faq. I have edited them
and they just need new screenshots.

The French Calc FAQ has lots of entries. I could in theory translate
these into English but it would be a big job and take a long time,
probably months. Is it worth doing?

IMO, yes, very much worth doing. We need more info on Calc.

And if anyone else wants to translate FAQs or How-tos (on any topic) from French or German to English, please do!

Thanks again for all your work, Hazel.

--Jean

Yes, thanks a lot :slight_smile: Calc FAQ was on my todo list for this month, but
time has manage it differently. I should have more time end of November
and in December to help you and other who will join.
Thanks again.
Kin regards
Sophie

So how do we co-ordinate this? My initial idea was to copy and translate the French contents list, commenting out all the titles that don't exist yet. Then anyone who translates an article can un-comment its title as well.

Dear Hazel:

I just saw this message.

I am in the Montreal, QC, Canada area and am English (native) French very fluent and have done public speaking in French) and somewhat less strong in Spanish.

Being retired and alone, I can help with some of the translation, and/or when it seems appropriate, integrate some of the French questions where they have a significant common underlying denominator. Then take those integrated Q&As and do an explanatory translation into Canadian English. (While Canadian and American English do have some differences, they are not so great usually as to cause misunderstandings.) since my time is somewhat divided, I may not be as fast in getting content out as some might like, however I may be able to do some of this.

I work in a combination of F17-64 bit and Win XP (when I have to) on a self built network with about 20 Tb. online.

Time zone here is Eastern North America (same as NYC) and I am usually around later in the day into night.

Best Regards,

Bruce M.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I would also like to put a
link to the French FAQ on the main Calc (English) FAQ page, with a
note that we're translating from the French, and perhaps inviting
others to help -- unless those of you already working on this think
that would be more disruptive than helpful.

--Jean

Bruce,
Welcome. Translating FAQs is a perfect job for someone with only
limited blocks of time available. Slow work completion is much less
critical than when trying to put together a user guide. So I encourage
you to just dive in and do what you can, when you can. If you let us
know what you're working on, others won't accidentally duplicate your
work. One easy way to do that is to create a link from the Calc FAQ
page to a not-yet-translated question; that way it shows up in red and
people know it's being done.

BTW, many team members are in the UK and Europe; I am in Australia.
Also BTW, quite a few of us are retired.

--Jean