3D scenes in Draw

I am rewriting Chapter 7 Working with 3D Objects using comments from Regina
and the original OpenOffice versions of the chapter in English and German,
but I require some help.

A 3D scene is created when you create a 3D object object from body rotation
or conversion of a 2D object, or after placing a ready-made 3D shape into
your drawing. When you select this 3D scene, you can then use the function
"Enter Group", but I can see no benefit from this.

To explain, if you create a group of 2D objects, you can enter the group to
edit an individual object within that group. However, you can individually
edit a 3D scene within a drawing without having to use the "Enter
Group"function. You can see why I am puzzled about having "Enter
Group"function available for 3D scenes.

If there is anyone out there who knows the reasons for this function with 3D
scenes, please let me know.

Regards

PeterS

Hi Peter,

PeeWee schrieb:

I am rewriting Chapter 7 Working with 3D Objects using comments from Regina
and the original OpenOffice versions of the chapter in English and German,
but I require some help.

A 3D scene is created when you create a 3D object object from body rotation
or conversion of a 2D object

The result is a "body of rotation" (German "Rotationskörper"), that is a fixed mathematical term. You do not rotate the body but a 2D shape.

, or after placing a ready-made 3D shape into

your drawing. When you select this 3D scene, you can then use the function
"Enter Group", but I can see no benefit from this.

If you are inside the group (=scene), you can click on each individual object and manipulate it, for example rotate it or shift it right or left.

To explain, if you create a group of 2D objects, you can enter the group to
edit an individual object within that group. However, you can individually
edit a 3D scene within a drawing without having to use the "Enter
Group"function. You can see why I am puzzled about having "Enter
Group"function available for 3D scenes.

If there is anyone out there who knows the reasons for this function with 3D
scenes, please let me know.

It seems, that you never got a scene, with more than one object.

Try this: Draw a rectangle and then a heart on the side of it. Mark both together and call Convert > To 3D. Now you have a scene with two objects in it. Enter it, click on one object and shift or rotate it.

In the German version (or look at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Draw_Guide/Examples_for_your_own_experiments) is a chapter with examples. It shows examples with more than one object in the scene too.

The German version (or look at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Draw_Guide/Combining_objects_in_3D_scenes) has in addition a section, which explains how to get an additional object into an already existing scene.

It is a rich 3D engine but a very poor UI.

Kind regards
Regina

Thank you Regina

The information I have come across does not mention that when you convert more than one 2D object to 3D, the conversion automatically creates a group of the converted objects.

I did not think of this.

With regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org