Reviewed draft how-to on creating ad posters using Draw

I have created a folder under How-tos for Feedback (reviews and edits)
and put there my reviewed copy of the draft how-to on creating ad
posters using Draw. David, you can accept or reject my edits and
suggestions as you choose. Some of them, if you accept them, could
probably be applied to other parts of the document as well; I didn't
do a detailed edit.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/how-tos-tutorials/feedback/create-ad-posters-using-draw/view

--Jean

I've uploaded updates for all three of my how-tos based on your edits to Posters.
I get the point of your comment:

    Some colloquialisms are IMO a bit too colloquial.

But it did remind me of my wife's complaints that she doesn't like fish when it tastes too fishy. :slight_smile:
Regards,
David

I have published David's first how-to, Creating Ad Poster using Draw.
I've put it here for now, pending reorganisation and splitting of the
Publications page:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#How-tos_and_Tutorials

Also on ODFAuthors:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/how-tos-tutorials/published/how-to-create-posters-using-draw/view

David: I made a minor wording change in the second Tip on page 7.

--Jean

Very nice! Thanks to both of you!

As a side note, don't you think that, in the chapter about image
insertion, a paragraph about the image origin would be of use? This to
avoid people insert copyrighted material from the web without being
aware of the consequences.

My 2 euro-cents.

Thanks. I certainly have no problem adding copyright info...is there some
standard way that we do this?

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

deleted

I'd add a note: images from the web, warning!
And I would direct the reader to some free (like speech) image stock.

Google images search has a selection for free images (click Parameters
at the bottom of Google images page, then select Advanced Search ; at
the bottom of the advanced search page, "usage rights", select the free
license you need).

Note that I freely translated the terms above from FR as google.com is
not keen to let me view their pages in EN as they insist at throwing
them in FR at me (or I did miss smthg...).

Also, wikimedia commons (1), Flickr (2) and EveryStockPhoto (3) have
good stocks of images under a free license.

(1) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
(2) http://www.flickr.com/commons/
and http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/ (select a CreativeCommons
options, at the bottom of the page)
(3) http://www.everystockphoto.com/

All the best,

I don't think it's our business to be educating people about image
copyright or telling them where to look for free images, but I have no
objection if you want to add a brief (one-two sentence?) note, because
I realise that many people are clueless on this topic.

And it's not my decision what you put in.

Open Clipart might be worth mentioning as an alternative to the clipart used in MS Office.

[...]

Please note that I am updating the Draw Guide to LO version 4.1. There maybe changes to some of the how-to instructions. Please check the latest versions of the chapters before publishing how-tos.

Chapters 1 to 6 of the Draw Guide version LO4.1 have been published. The next chapter will be Chapter 7 early next week.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@libreoffice.org

I don't think it's our business to be educating people about image
copyright or telling them where to look for free images, but I have no
objection if you want to add a brief (one-two sentence?) note, because
I realise that many people are clueless on this topic.

Well, this was just a suggestion. The document is fine as-is but I
thought about a very frequent question/problem we meet during trainings
where people think they are entitled to just download anything from the
web. If this is far too convoluted to explain in this how-to, no problem
for me.

And it's not my decision what you put in.

I guess this the author's.