Impress FAQ - question on the French version

This one is maybe for Sophie (or someone in the French team)

I was working on translating the French Impress FAQs a little bit
today, and the one I just worked on seems overly complicated on the
French page. While testing the steps for the English version... it
seems to be a lot simpler than is documented in the FAQ page.

The pages are....

French original: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/FAQ/Impress/022

My translated version: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Impress/022

Is the French one specific to an older version of LibreOffice? (I'm
testing in 4.x on openSUSE)... or does it need to be updated? Or...
something else?

Clayton

Hi Clayton,

This one is maybe for Sophie (or someone in the French team)

I was working on translating the French Impress FAQs a little bit
today, and the one I just worked on seems overly complicated on the
French page. While testing the steps for the English version... it
seems to be a lot simpler than is documented in the FAQ page.

The pages are....

French original: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/FAQ/Impress/022

My translated version: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Impress/022

Is the French one specific to an older version of LibreOffice? (I'm
testing in 4.x on openSUSE)... or does it need to be updated? Or...
something else?

I think it's for older version, but I'll have a look today and will
adapt the French translation to yours if it's outdated, otherwise, I'll
come back to you. Thanks for your work :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

Cool, thanks for checking it Sophie.

How far back are we trying to support with the FAQ? 3.x and 4.x or
just 4.x? I noticed some FAQ entries tried to cover both old (more
complicated) ways and new ways (simplified in most cases).

I can see the benefit of an FAQ entry that covers old releases, but
the FAQ isn't really supposed to be a comprehensive document is it? I
can install an older version of LibO to validate against (easy enough
to do), but... is it worth it for the FAQ?

C.

Hi Clayton,

[...]

I don't think so. We (FR group) began it at the time of our SO French
forum (15 years ago!) and have updated it since, letting sometimes some
explanations for older versions when it needs a really different process.
I think having only explanations for 4.x branches is ok, as you said a
FAQ is not supposed to be a comprehensive document, but a quick
reference to an action.
Kind regards
Sophie

Hi Clayton,

Hi Clayton,

This one is maybe for Sophie (or someone in the French team)

I was working on translating the French Impress FAQs a little bit
today, and the one I just worked on seems overly complicated on the
French page. While testing the steps for the English version... it
seems to be a lot simpler than is documented in the FAQ page.

The pages are....

French original: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/FAQ/Impress/022

My translated version: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/Impress/022

Is the French one specific to an older version of LibreOffice? (I'm
testing in 4.x on openSUSE)... or does it need to be updated? Or...
something else?

I think it's for older version, but I'll have a look today and will
adapt the French translation to yours if it's outdated, otherwise, I'll
come back to you. Thanks for your work :slight_smile:

So discussing it with Pierre-Yves who maintains our FAQ, he told me that
the master is still needed to retrieve the drawing objects placed on
this master. See in his first example, the master is not used vs used in
the second example:
pys1.otg <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4077060/pys1.otg>
pys2.otg <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4077060/pys2.otg>

Pierre-Yves has also adapted the menu command that were still from older
versions, so now this FAQ is up to date.

Kind regards
Sophie