Excel and Calc Function Comparison List

Hi,

As i was not able to find an Excel and Calc comparison list, i think that
it doesn't exits, and i've decided to make one.

I've used Excel 2013 Functions List (as Category) and LibreOffice 3.6.x
Guide(i cannot remember the version).

You may find it here on Google Drive:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtwDODVc-9BcdGhaQjNIZktqMC1WWG9INm5LQWw0VVE&usp=sharing

The reason that i want this were actually localization and standardize the
functions as Microsft Excel for migrations etc. Thus i've also created a Tr
localized comparison list which may help other locales to create one, here
it is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtwDODVc-9BcdEdEcFEzWTVza0JvOUlsaFhfNm9JN2c&usp=sharing

The lists has two sheets, first sheet is the main list compared to Excel,
and the second sheet is created by our guide. The Yellow highlighted cells
are empty functions, which may not exist or which i cannot find(new
functions etc) i highlighted some text with red, that means the equivalent
is not the same.

I see that nearly %99 of the functions match each other some statistical
and trigon. functions differ(aaa.ddd used ".")

For localization we will arrange it similar to excel.

Anyway this list will be very useful for everyone i think -if it is
finished!

I ask you for help, if we can finalize it it can be a good appendix to
guides also a reference page on wiki.

@Andras,

You said 1st Spet is the deadline for 4.1.2 RC1, how much time do we have
to finish our translations for 4.1.2 release? Because there is serious work
to do for the functions on Pootle

- Checking the UI and also need to check the help will take time. If we had
our functions, definitions and help in separate po files, it can be easier
but now i think i will search one by one on Pootle.

Hi Zeki,

@Andras,

You said 1st Spet is the deadline for 4.1.2 RC1, how much time do we have to
finish our translations for 4.1.2 release? Because there is serious work to
do for the functions on Pootle

- Checking the UI and also need to check the help will take time. If we had
our functions, definitions and help in separate po files, it can be easier
but now i think i will search one by one on Pootle.

RC2 will follow 2 weeks after RC1. We always follow the release plan,
see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

Anyway, what do you think about finalizing this Comparison List? If you may
want to join i can share the the edit permission, or you may have the file
and i can join to the suitable platform.

No thanks, a very busy September is ahead for me. :slight_smile: Thank you very
much for your work.

Best regards,
Andras

Hi :slight_smile:
Would mainstream Wikipedia be a good place?  There are a few pages showing comparisons between various Office Suites and this might well fit neatly onto one of them.

It would be nice somewhere on the LO wiki but i this might be better for a wider audience?  Perhaps linked to from LO wiki?

@Andras,

Ok then we have time to the translation deadline for RC2.

And

Anyway, what do you think about finalizing this Comparison List? If you may
want to join i can share the the edit permission, or you may have the file
and i can join to the suitable platform.

I've asked to documentation team and other volunteers, but quotation
was missing, i've been already asking too much to you already :slight_smile:

@Tom,

The Wikipedia might not be a good place for this specific and
technical list. But sure we can give a reference to this list in
suitable pages of Wikipedia.

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to you about this. Your
comparison list is something we very much need. Thank you for doing
this work! I'm not sure what is the best way to provide it to users
(or to people keeping it up to date), but we will definitely find a
home for it on the LO Docs wiki.

Please let us know when it is updated. If anyone at Docs updates the
Calc Guide appendix that lists functions with descriptions, they could
work on your spreadsheet as well. But I don't know who will do that.

Thanks for putting this on Dropbox.

--Jean Weber
Team Leader, LibreOffice Documentation

Hi,

Finally i have completed the list. I've already sent it to Gerry who
helped me to review the first version. Also having your help will be
very good.

The list now contains the following sheets

- Excel vs Calc comparison list
- NEW FUNCTIONS OF CALC which is extracted by (thanks to) Eike from
the most recent build and are not present in the last published
appendix of calc guide
- CALC UNIQUE FUNCTIONS which are not available in Excel
- EXCEL UNIQUE FUNCTIONS which are not available in Calc (which can be
used to submit requests to bugzilla to have)

There may be similar functions like -i think- EFFECT and EFFECTIVE
neds to be spootted...

Best regards,
Zeki

You might like to replace the earlier copy that I put on the LO wiki here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/c/c6/Excel2013_Calc_Functions_Comparison.ods

I had a thorough look at the first sheet "Excel vs. Calc" of the comparison list. You find my comments in the columns N,O,P. For some functions, I could not find a lot, though.

It was much more tricky than I thought, because Microsoft had changed quite a bit for Office 2010/2013 (because they realized that the precision of earlier Excel version was not that good as compared to Calc or Gnumeric) and added lots of new variants to old functions, often with the suffix ".precise" or ".rt". Here, the question is how good they can be mapped to LibreOffice Calc. This document gives quite some information, although it is outdated and just a draft: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc/Drafts/Treatment_of_new_Excel_2010_functions

Also, some newer functions are not yet described in https://help.libreoffice.org. For some comparisons, also the OO.o page on functions was helpful: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_Functions_listed_by_category

Best regards,
Gerry