Subject: Digest of announce@documentfoundation.org issue 145 (160)

From: "announce+help@documentfoundation.org" <announce+help@documentfoundation.org>
Sent: Friday, 9 August 2013, 17:22
Subject: Call for Papers extended until August 22
From: Florian Effenberger <floeff@documentfoundation.org>

Dear community,

from September 24 to 27, this year's annual LibreOffice Conference takes
place in Milano, Italy. It is the major annual event for all LibreOffice
contributors, supporters, adopters and users, and will be jointly hosted
by the Milan University together with the LibreOffice community.

We hereby announce that the Call for Papers will be extended until
August 22, and invite all of you to send in your talk proposals for the
conference.

Whether you've been developing cool and exciting features, are using
LibreOffice in your corporation, or would like to talk about the
OpenDocument format ecosystem at large, send in your talk and present it
to a large and diverse audience at LibOCon 2013!

All details to the CfP are available at
http://conference.libreoffice.org/2013/en/call-for-papers

Looking forward to your proposals!

I am unable to attend LibOCon this year. (The trip from Australia is
too long.) It would be very good to have someone from the Docs Team
there. Even better would be for someone to present a talk about our
work. I can put together a presentation if someone can deliver it.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

>from September 24 to 27, this year's annual LibreOffice Conference takes

place in Milano, Italy. It is the major annual event for all LibreOffice
contributors, supporters, adopters and users, and will be jointly hosted
by the Milan University together with the LibreOffice community.

We hereby announce that the Call for Papers will be extended until
August 22, and invite all of you to send in your talk proposals for the
conference.

Whether you've been developing cool and exciting features, are using
LibreOffice in your corporation, or would like to talk about the
OpenDocument format ecosystem at large, send in your talk and present it
to a large and diverse audience at LibOCon 2013!

All details to the CfP are available at
http://conference.libreoffice.org/2013/en/call-for-papers

Looking forward to your proposals!

I am unable to attend LibOCon this year. (The trip from Australia is
too long.) It would be very good to have someone from the Docs Team
there. Even better would be for someone to present a talk about our
work. I can put together a presentation if someone can deliver it.

It is a pity you cannot attend, but I see you are on the list of the speakers :wink:
I will be attending as I am lucky to live on the same side of the planet and travelling is not that long for me.
I have put forward a presentation about the translation of the users guides, so maybe I can broaden my talk and speak about documentation in general as well. Seen that so many speakers have enrolled, I do not think I can have 2 presentations.
If anybody from the Documentation team is willing to present, no problem for me.

Best regards

I think the speaker list is people registered from last year. No one
will be selected to speak this year until after the close of the CfP.

I know of one other possibility to present about Docs in general, but
if that person is not available, broadening your talk a bit would be
very good.

--Jean

I have been accepted as a speaker during the conference in Milan. I will talk about translating the user guides, I will also have the possibility to speak about the work of the documentation team in general. Please let me know if there are topics the documentation team would like me talk about.

Maybe it is a good idea to post me this off list :wink:

Many thanks
Best regards

I'll send you my summary, but others are welcome to suggest topics as well.

--Jean

My personal interest is always to know, if there is a (sensible) trend
in contributions. So I'd be glad if you could give some numbers or
estimations about how "sane" the documentation project has been (or
feels) in the past year, if possible with comparison to the years before.

(just as an idea)

Nino

Hi :)
I'm only here as a lurker and occasional pest but my impression is that it has settled down a lot this year and become a lot more sane.  Some people have settled into regularly doing certain books and rarely touch other books.

Also the numbers of people in the team seems to have stabilised excluding the recent positive blip.  In previous years there has been quite a wide variance and it's often been unclear whether people have gone or are just being shy.

However reality might be quite different from perception.  I'm not sure if there are any good ways of quantifying levels of participation or activity.  For example while Jean does a lot of work on the guides themselves she also does tons more outside of that.  So, i think the best we could hope for is rough figures and then give an apology to anyone that did contribute in other ways and just didn't get counted.