Calc Chapter 3 Charts and Graphs

Hi all

I've uploaded the chapter 3 for Calc on Charts and Graphs.
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/feedback-lo4/chapter-3-charts-and-graphs/at_download/file

Mostly just approved the French teams work.

I was not happy that I understood bubble charts properly so I spent this
last week researching and playing with Calc, gnumeric and excel to see what
on earth was happening and what was supposed to happen. I have added some
more text based on that research. I want to add some more detailed notes
(to the wiki?) based on what I have found. Could I also upload the file
(first started when I did this chapter in 2010) for people to use and play
around with? Where could I do that?

It's probably not a bad idea to have it around for future reviewers to use
instead of having to recreate the tables for figures.

Cheers
Shelagh

Please upload the file to
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide
We might move it somewhere else later, but that's a good place for it.

As for the detailed notes: how about a Writer file in the same folder
given above.

Both files could also be put on the wiki and linked from... I'm not
quite sure where. The tasks page, perhaps. And/or anywhere else that
seems useful.

--Jean

I have made a quick pass through this chapter, left a lot of notes,
and returned it to
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/feedback-lo4/cg4-0-ch3-charts-graphs/view

I think some info on one new 4.0 feature may need to be added, though
I may have missed it when skimming the chapter (I left a comment in
the file). Many images need to be replaced, if possible, with clearer
ones. I suggest leaving the images to PeterS to do.

--Jean

I uploaded the calc file with tables for charts and graphs.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/calc-file-for-chapter-3-charts-and-graphs/view

Hi Jean

You're right about one of the new features, but not sure when it was added.
I didn't see the one I'm thinking about in the notes for 3.5, 3.6 or 4.0
that I can remember.

I even used it myself without thinking that it was a new feature since the
last time I played with graphs, but you can format individual data points,
whereas last time I reviewed this chapter (openoffice.org) you could only
format data series. I'm sure that is not mentioned and should be. I will
add something to that effect if you like.

Cripes! I have too many chapters on the go at the moment.

Cheers

Shelagh

Please do add something about being able to format individual data points.

I have a feeling there's at least one other interesting new feature
that I can't remember. Oh, well, either someone will point it out
before this book is done, or we'll discover it later and can add it
then.

--Jean

Hi

Have started to draft something for datapoint formatting, but I was
thinking of including it in the section about formatting dataseries. Does
that seem reasonable? or would it be better to separate them for ease of
searching?

I will also have a look through the notes I printed out on calc 3.6 etc for
new features I may have missed.

With the overwrite thing, would that be classed as a bug? I do get a brief
"Overwrite" when I enter text into a cell, then press the INS button on my
keyboard. But it really is just a quick flash and surely if this part of
the status bar is to be useful, it should show both states, overwrite and
insert? I am happy to report it if everyone thinks this is wrong behaviour.

Cheers

Shelagh