Plural of "formula"

Hi Jean,

Kieran asked what form of the plural of "formula" we use. We use
"formulas" (the modern spelling, used just about everywhere except
perhaps some academic writing). I shall add that to our style guide.

I must be terribly old fashioned then, with my British English, and
chemistry background because I still use "formulae". Seems like the
Oxford English Dictionaries also think I'm getting old :wink:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/formula

Alex

Hello Alex and Jean

I do prefer formulae being like you Alex - old fashioned. Alas formulas is the American spelling and in common usage being widely accepted. My old school English teacher will be groaning who taught me to love the English language.

Regards

PeterS

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Those in the largest English-speaking country on the planet--China--likely adhere to the US English norms, primarily because the Chinese copy much of their technology from the US, including its chosen flavor of English.

I reckon it would be a safe bet that even India more often uses US English instead of its former Commonwealth English nowadays. Especially considering that Asians would probably watch a helluvalot of US TV programs...

Gary

I don't normally engage in these affairs, but you're purporting to lecture the English on the subject of their language and seem to think that "helluvalot" qualifies you?

Peter HB

The term "helluvalot" almost always gets past automatic censoring on forums or comment boards...

BTW, I am not a purist on English usage; you might be, though.

Gary

That's tautological, don't you think? Clearly you're not a purist and yes, I am.

Peter HB

I am only familiar with "formulas", and have not, until today, seen the other form. I was under the impression that the intention was to go with US English Spelling in the documentation, but my memory is sufficiently poor regarding such things that I would have asked. I think that is really the question then, do you tend towards US or UK spelling.

The term "helluvalot" almost always gets past automatic censoring on
forums or comment boards...

BTW, I am not a purist on English usage; you might be, though.

That's tautological, don't you think? Clearly you're not a purist and yes, I am.

Working hard to not soil myself from laughing so hard when I see such an exchange...

Gentle People,

English is a living and evolving language. New words, and new applications for existing words, are developed all the time. For instance, when did you ever hear the term "flux capacitor" used in common English before "Back to The Future" popularized it? Same thing applies to "going postal" and the suffix "gate" which are commonly understood to mean violent loss of self control and the resulting retribution, and shameful disclosure of a clandestine program of questionable ethics, respectively.

Being an old geezer, I was aware of the very occasional usage of formulae and such back in the day of my grade-school parochial education or my college-prep years at Marquette University High School in Milwaukee. As with you, I have almost never observed its usage in the US the past half century.

I was required to take two years of Latin at MUHS. As a result, I learned Latin declensions, conjugations, and such before going on to study German (my father's father is an Austrian immigrant from the Kaernten Alps--Achomitz) for my final two years in high school and afterward Russian and Spanish while an electrical-engineering student in college--at Marquette U and the University of Wisconsin.

Gary

Please, team, let's not continue cluttering the list with side
discussions, interesting though they may be.

Our style guide clearly says "For consistency, when writing the user
guides we are following US English spelling conventions and UK English
punctuation conventions."

--Jean

In the US the plural of formula is formulas. When I looked up the entymolgy of formula I found it is a Latin word whose Latin plural is formulae. Given that very few people have ever studied Latin in the US the plural has evolved to the usual English plural.

If I heard formulae as the plural it was probably 30 years ago by someone 30 - 40 years older than me.