Chapter 2 -Entering, Editing, and Formatting Data - Uploaded to Feedback

Hi all

After wrestling with images, getting all brave and bold and accepting
changes like a grownup, I have uploaded Chapter 2.

Are inserting images a problem for others too. Sometimes, not always, when
I insert a new image, large spaces open up in the text. It seems if you
delete a paragraph marker and insert it again, sometimes it comes good.

I also have a proposal that the section on sorting should be stripped down
severely to include just the amount that someone who wants to format a file
would use and the rest be included in another chapter, perhaps the one on
calc being used as a simple database. It seems too far in scope from
editing and formatting data.

any opinions? I am of course willing to put in the time to strip it to a
simpler level. As it is I left it pretty much as it was before.

Cheers

Shelagh

Hi all

After wrestling with images, getting all brave and bold and accepting
changes like a grownup, I have uploaded Chapter 2.

Are inserting images a problem for others too. Sometimes, not always, when
I insert a new image, large spaces open up in the text. It seems if you
delete a paragraph marker and insert it again, sometimes it comes good.

Yes, that often happens with various changes. I use File > Reload (after saving the file) to get everything to display properly again. --Jean

Hi Jean

I will try that out. Hopefully it will solve my problem too.

What do you think about my proposal of simplifying the section on sorting
tables and removing the rest or at least using the material to augment the
chapter on using calc as a database?

I would think many people would have an opinion on this.

Cheers

Shelagh

Hi Tom

Is there a particular deadline to get this book published?

I would like to tackle it. I will probably do it anyway and see how it pans
out.

Cheers

Shelagh

I would like to have this book done by the end of June. I think it's important for LO's "image" to have a set of books for v4.x ASAP, even if the changes from v 3.x are small. (Others may have a different opinion, of course.)

The priority is updating it to include any changes necessary for v4.0 (and/or v4.1). However, improvements to the content are always worth considering and working on, and as a volunteer you are welcome and encouraged to do whatever you want. I would be interested to see your suggestions for changes. As long as Ch2 has something on sorting, with a reference to Ch13 for more info, I can't see a big problem.

--Jean

BTW, Andrew Pitonyak (the author of Chapters 12 & 13) says he is not aware of any changes to the program that affect those chapters. --Jean

Hello Shelagh,

I reviewed your document, added few tips I discovered later and uploaded it
into ODFAuthors.

Best regards,

Ok Jean

I will leave it for the moment but I will try to work on it maybe for the
next version, if life does not intervene again.

Cheers

Hi Chris

I will look it over as soon as I get a chance.

Shelagh

Hi :)
It sounds like a big change to me.  Perhaps easier to just keep it in for this release but make a note for it to be done next time?  Which way is going to be faster and easier for you?

Hi Jean, this would be fantastic, as we could announce the availability
of the books before LibreOffice 4.1. In general, the announcement of a
major release can cannibalize other news stories.