Merging two files - a pickle

Hi All

I find I am in a pickle over two files I have been reviewing, the Calc
chapter on data entry Chapter 2.

I started reviewing the file I downloaded from the site in the normal way,
but I noticed that the French review team put up their review later so I
started to look over that. Since then I have been distracted with other
issues. Now I am starting to look over them again, I see that there are
bits in my original file that are not in my review of the French teams
version and vice versa.

Is there a way to compare two similar documents? I see a menu item under
Edit > Compare document... but that seems to compare to an older version of
the document for acceptance or rejection of changes.

Any ideas or just bite the bullet and slog through the comparison by hand?

Cheers

Shelagh

You should be able to compare any two files using that menu item (I've
done it on many occasions), but the last time I tried it (a few weeks
ago), it didn't work: that is, nothing happened. I don't know whether
that's because the function has changed, or I did something wrong, or
there's a bug... and it might work fine for you. Give it a try and see
what happens, or doesn't happen.

I can sort of see how it works, though it is not very like other diff type
tools I've used in the past. But if I accept changes won't that break all
the change markings of the files?

I guess I should just experiment on copies of the files to see what happens.

Cheers

Shelagh

Ok, played with practice copies and I am satisfied that it works reasonably
well, though there are multiple copies of some changes from me.

Ta muchly

Shelagh

Glad to hear it worked. At this point I suggest creating a separate clean
copy with all changes accepted or rejected and use that as the next draft
of the chapter for others to review or edit. After the accept/reject step,
clean up any paragraph styles that accidentally went wrong (headings
especially), remove leftover blank paragraphs, and so on, before finishing
the draft.

Did you also check the comments made by Kieran Peckett?

--Jean

Ok, played with practice copies and I am satisfied that it works reasonably
well, though there are multiple copies of some changes from me.

Ta muchly

Shelagh

Ok

1. still working through the chapter, testing out all steps. But and adding
images. (Using frames is a PITA!)
2. save to new file (do I accept or reject changes here?) I still regard
myself as an apprentice proofreader, so am hesitant to actually accept or
reject other's work.
3. download Kieran's work and "compare" that and look through his changes
and comments as well.

4. Save that file to a new file and upload that.

Gotta write notes to myself on workflow so I don't forget.

Does these steps seem reasonable?

Shelagh

Note to self.
Proofread emails too!

If you're uncomfortable about accept/reject, then leave the combined
file with everyone's comments included, and I'll do that step.

The images add their own frames automatically, so I'm unclear why
"using frames is a PITA". What am I missing?

--Jean

Um, I didn't realise that pictures add their own frame. Operator error.

That certainly makes things easier. Maybe I should read some chapters out
of one of the writer guides more closely. (I have read them, honest!)

Shelagh