Screenshots from Mac

In Rafael's review of WG Ch13, he said that several screenshots should
be replaced because they are "not LibreOffice dialogs" but instead
"dialogs on a Mac". Screenshots from Mac are allowed, as long as they
were done when the "use LibreOffice dialogs" option is selected. The
ones in the Writer Guide *are* in fact "LibreOffice dialogs".

In the preface to the book, we note that the appearance of dialogs
differs with the operating system in use and that the book contains
images taken from different operatings systems.

That all sounds fine.  Apple don't have good reason to hassle us anyway and even if they did it would only be bad PR for them.  It's not as though they get a significant chunk of income from a competing product.  Rafeal's notes will be there for the future wont they :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom:)

Hi Tom,

That all sounds fine. Apple don't have good reason to hassle us anyway and even if they did it would only be bad PR for them. It's not as though they get a significant chunk of income from a competing product. Rafeal's notes will be there for the future wont they :slight_smile:

It is irrelevant whether Apple have a reason to hassle us or not. From
my own previous personal exchanges with Apple Legal about UI inclusions
in books/manuals that might be for sale, this is not something with
which the project would/should be tempting fate.

Alex

Three things:
1. We are not going to change the policy on screenshots. However, if someone feels strongly enough to redo them from Linux, they are welcome to do so -- but they'd darn we'll better do them right. Which means paying attention to the text and making sure the screenshots show what they are supposed to. The last time or two someone started replacing screenshots for no reason other than o/s, they got quite a few wrong. A lot of checking and general QA is needed.
2. There are a lot of Windows screenshots still in the books; if someone's going to worry about screenshots, worry about them first.
3. The books are not being sold by TDF. They are being sold by Friends of OpenDocument, Inc.

--Jean

To elaborate: the choice really is between having books done as quickly as possible with screenshots that a few people consider are a problem, and having books not done (or done, but much later than we already are) but with screenshots from an acceptable o/s. Considering that we're always behind, I know which choice I prefer. If the rest of the team wants to go another way, you can do it without me.

Jean

Well, I think the screenshots should stay if dialogs on Mac are allowed and
if anyone could make a lot of mistakes replacing them.

Regards

RA