Filling the EN FAQ

Hi Sophie,

Just for information, I'm filling the EN FAQ based on the FR one. There
is some proofreading greatly needed, and don't hesitate to laugh at my
mistakes :slight_smile:

Good luck. I started doing this last year with the Base FAQ with the
help of a few other, and yet, it appears that the link from the main
page to all of that work was removed, now requiring a not so obvious
hunt for the information in the LibreOffice website. Makes me wonder why
I bother with this project some times and leaves me with little
inclination to carry on helping out.

Anyway, if you want to add to what is already there :

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq

HTH,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Hi Sophie,

Just for information, I'm filling the EN FAQ based on the FR one. There
is some proofreading greatly needed, and don't hesitate to laugh at my
mistakes :slight_smile:

Good luck. I started doing this last year with the Base FAQ with the
help of a few other, and yet, it appears that the link from the main
page to all of that work was removed, now requiring a not so obvious
hunt for the information in the LibreOffice website. Makes me wonder why
I bother with this project some times and leaves me with little
inclination to carry on helping out.

Alex, I understand your frustration, but your work will be translated in
the other languages by the NLPs giving them access to a documentation
they can't offer for now. So be sure you didn't waste your time, there
is not so much people with your knowledge on Base, thanks a lot to share
it and continuously work to debug the software.

Anyway, if you want to add to what is already there :
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq

It's also still on the home wiki page, so not so deeply hidden :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie

Hi :slight_smile:
It's also been given as a link directly when people ask questions about Base as it's been about the only viable documentation about it.  However that was mostly during odd moments when you and Dan weren't around or weren't swift enough to answer before me.  I've been a lot slower in the last several months, maybe even a year so it's not happened so much lately.  The handbook has been a boon and before that there was the first couple of chapters of the guide but the only complete documentation has been the Faq.

However if people edit out stuff that is important then just edit it back.  There is a high chance they did it
1.  by accident
2.  as part of a restructuring that might have never been finished
3.  by a a different team that didn't really realise the importance of the link (or whatever)
Number 1 is the most frequent.

Often before or after doing edits i ask for opinions or ask people to check it's ok but they are too busy with getting through the guides quickly.  The team is tiny and doesn't have much time for unfamiliar work.  Please if you notice problems with the wiki please let me know or just fix it.

Many deepest apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Good to know -- we often get people with Base-related questions on the
Ask site and I'm often not sure where to point them!

That definitely reinforces my thought that some of the items currently
in the Faq could serve as a great set of examples in the Base
documentation. Is this something that others would support? Alex -- If
you like the idea, would you consider authoring some of the changes?

Cheers,
--R

Hi :slight_smile:
I've assumed that Dan knows about the wiki and uses it for the full guide.  The wiki is copyleft something like CC-by-SA, just like the guides, so copying and modifying is fine

The Handbook is a straight translation from the German so it probably doesn't use the wiki Faq so much