[libreoffice-users] OT: Calling for colaborators for the next edition of Brazilian LibreOffice Magazine

Hi :slight_smile:
I thought i would pass this note on to the documentation team jic anyone here fancies writing something for the Brazilian Team's Magazine.  It's very professionally done and got translated into English once (i think).

It's a tad tricky to translate as they seem to be dealing with a completely different scenario over there.  They seem to have a much higher up-take of LibreOffice than in most European countries (and shed loads more than the US or England).  Plus they refer to meetings and events that might be tricky to get to.

So, i am not sure if they are looking for "Views from Abroad" or mini HowTos but i suspect they might find Regina's wiki interesting.

Tom,
Thanks for forwarding Eliane's message to the list. I note that she
wants text in English, so that makes it easy for anyone here who might
be interested in contributing.

Browsing through the previous issue of the magazine, I see that it
includes news, interviews, how-to/tutorial articles, and more. (No, I
don't read Portuguese, but I could figure out that much.)
http://dc671.4shared.com/download/k_TgxH8J/LM-ED03.pdf

--Jean

Dear doc Group:

Here I sit in the Greater Montreal Canada area looking at this, and can
imagine that some of their activities could be a tad wild or (in Spanish
Sandungero"). but I also don't speak enough Portuguesa Brasilero to
carry a conversation.

However, if the task were to translate into English, and there was as
much English and English-based technical jargon as I found
cyber-shopping the streets of Ho Chi Minh City (without speaking any
Vietnamese), I might occasionally be able to throw the odd speck of
light in that.) During the 80's my employer had an office in São Paulo,
and the stories that came back were certainly interesting, although they
also have their local problems.

If one had to go from any of the coastal cities to Brasilia, for
example, I understand that to be a flight of about 1500 miles, and not
one I would want to drive!

If I get a moment, I will try and look at the sample to see what I can
scrute of the "sabor", then I would have something more to think about it.

In Libre Office, I have a multilingual application I have done with a
spreadsheet I call "Transverbalisations". This is a bit like an
associative, explanatory modern thesaurus, but not at all like the
thesauruses used with typical apps like Writer.

At the moment, this is set up for English, French and Spanish, but added
sections can easily be cloned for other languages, (but please, unicode
alphabet stuff please!)

The app I started during a sales course I took in French because the
majority of the class were Francophone, but I needed to translate some
of the stuff because I was to work on the night shift and the clientele
I would have would be more Anglophone from Western Canada, due to
Canada's time zones.

Later, I expanded this into some other areas, but it needs a lot of
populating yet. It also handles interpretation of some slang and
vulgarity in the interest of those terms being understood when needed by
people who are not used to that kind of language, yet may need to have
that kind of awareness at times.

Best Regards,

Bruce Martin

Hi :slight_smile:

@Bruce
Sounds like you would be a valuable asset in the translators' lists.  If you are not already there please consider joining.

For the Brazilian mag i think Eliane is looking for articles written in English to add variety.  If you can write in Brazilian version of Portuguese then i'm sure she would be happy with that.  Either way is good.

@Jean
Thanks :slight_smile:

@all
Perhaps someone here could interview someone from marketing or something?  Seems like there are plenty of choices of types of articles and things to give them.

Thanks and regards from

Tom :slight_smile: