PING RobertG & DanL: Base Handbook Chapter 9 questions

Hazel had some questions about Base Handbook Chapter 9. Could one or
both of you look at the file and help resolve her questions? Thanks.
(I have replaced the pictures with Robert's ones from the English
database.)

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/edited/base-h-b-ch9-macros/view

--Jean

I just saw this in my Inbox and downloaded a copy. It looks rather deep to me, but I will see what I can do. Right now it is my bed time, and I will begin in the morning. This appears to involve information found in the HSQLDB user guide. It may take me some time. Some help to from Robert tomorrow might be helpful as well.

--Dan

Hi All,

I have read through the document until the end of page 8 and have found the following issues. Each issue is followed by a suggestion (I apparently do not have write access, yet, or do not know how to edit the file):

First sentence on page 4:

// ///In principle a database in Base can manage without macros.///

s/b

/////In general, Base can manage a database without macros.///

First sentence on page 5:

/ If macros input here are to be usable, the following steps are necessary:/

s/b

/If macros input here are to be usable, the following steps are necessary:/

Later, page 5:

If necessary you can additionally use the Trusted sources tab to set the path to your own macro files to prevent later queries about the activation of macros.

s/b

Optionally, use the Trusted sources tab to set the path to your own macro files to prevent later queries about macro activation.

idem:

Case should be used only to improve legibility.

s/b

Case should be used only to improve readability.

idem:

Do not create any variables automatically but only use those that I have predeclared.

s/b

Do not create any variables automatically and only use those that I have previously declared.

Page 6:

The form to be accessed is here named Display.

s/b

The form to be accessed here is named Display.

idem:

The commit() instruction need only be applied to the listbox that has just been accessed.

s/b

The commit() instruction only needs to be applied to the listbox that has just been accessed.

Page 8:

What the final query underlying the displayed form, actually looks like

s/b

What the final query underlying the displayed form actually looks like

idem:

The following macro can control through a listbox which listboxes must be saved and which must be read in again.

s/b

The following macro can control through a listbox which listboxes must be saved and which must be read in again.

As for the question on page 8, I think the paragraph is misplaced. These two paragraphs should be inverted:

/An array (a collection of data accessible via an index number) is established and filled with the field names of the listboxes. The first name is the name of the listbox linked to the event.//
/
and

/The array is run through from its lower bound ('Lbound()') to its upper bound ('Ubound()') in a single loop. All values which were separated by commas in the additional information, are now transferred successively.//
/
Regards,

HP