[libreoffice-users] How to downgrade from 4.0.2. to 3.6.6

Hi :)
The old lurgy of disappearing pictures seems to have reappeared (or perhaps just never went away since it's so rare).  Someone has just come up with the idea of adding something to the guides tio help people avoid it.  Would it make sense?

Ditto here with disappearing graphics in version 4 (now at version 4.0.3.1 on my Windows 7 system), especially those pictures anchored as characters. Personally, I anchor graphics as characters only when adding small graphics inline (such as tiny graphics embedded within a line of text)--likely the major intended purpose of anchoring graphics in that manner.

There was some advice in the ODFAuthors guides to anchor pictures in figures as characters; however, I have rewritten those instructions whenever I encounter them in my version 4.x revisions of the Writer-Guide chapters.

On another matter, is anybody currently reviewing the Writer-Guide chapter on master documents? In my ongoing revisions of chapters and template redesign (based upon the ODFAuthored published chapters), I am devising a general-purpose master document/template and accompanying tutorials--starting from the master document, template, and page/section considerations and working down to the specifics of their components (text, figures, and tables, among others). I started into revising the only "current" published master-document chapter at ODFAuthors , the 3.6 version. Perhaps, somebody is working on the version 4 chapter, so that I could then hold my criticism of the version 3.6 version and apply it to the version 4 chapter, if necessary.

Gary

Hi Gary
I'm currently working through WG Chapter 13 Working with Master Documents.

Regards
JohnS

John,

If you intend to rewrite or rework the version 3.6 chapter while reviewing it, try rearranging some of the subheads so that a user would not have to look further into the chapter for doing some tasks. IOW, think of the chapter as being read from beginning to its end, instead of being a reference guide--perhaps, without having to jump around within the chapter as with the 3.6 version.

Also, be advised that some commands from version 3.x do not exist any longer (i.e., were changed in version 4). For example, the "published" chapter on page styles for version 4 did not detect nor change the several mentions of the predefined style name "Default" from the earlier editions that no longer exist in version 4--now, it is "Default Style"--for the paragraph, character, and page style catalogs. Stuff like that...

For what I want to do--creating a general-purpose master document/tutorial for making and laying out print-docs or EPUBs, along with practical templates with style names similar to those used with MS Word or Adobe FrameMaker/InDesign (thus, making migration to LO easier), the version 4.x LO master-document chapter is the one that I am getting to first.

Gary