Template menu item

Just to say that "File > Templates" is still missing in 4.0rc2 making it a nuisance.
BTW, opening "File > Save As Template" opens the Template Manager, in which the Tango icon set is used. This with Galaxy set on the UI.

Regards
JohnS

This has been changed to "File > New > Templates". This opens the Template Manager as does the "New Document from Template tool" (Control+Shift+N). Also, clicking the arrow with the New icon has Template at the bottom of the list.
      There does not seem to be a way to change a document's template. That extension no longer works. There is a bug (#50699) to which I added a comment. Perhaps I should have added a new bug submission instead.
      Until the extension gets rewritten, updating the chapter template is going to take some thought. Perhaps this thought should be a separate message thread.

--Dan

Thanks Dan
Alex Thurgood posted about this being dealt with by the devs. He said:
"On the subject of changes in LO4, also note that the Template Manager has been completely redesigned, and it does not function in the same way as the previous one. It currently has some limitations over the old one which are being addressed by the devs, but this will probably need a rewrite of the documentation."
Now I know where to find it I'll see what's what.

JohnS

I can give instructions on how to change a chapter's template, the way
we used to do it before the extension was written.

For now we'll be sticking with the v3.4 template for our user guides,
which most if not all of the chapters are already using, so this
should not be a practical problem... though obviously it's relevant to
what's written in relevant chapters.

--Jean

I've been playing around with the template functions while working on
GS Chapter 3 (Styles and Templates). I note that there is one existing
folder (Mediawiki) in the Documents tab of the Template Manager, and
no folders on any of the other tabs. I assume this is a bug, because
no template can be saved except into a folder. I can save a template
into the existing Mediawiki folder, which is not where I want to save
it.

However, if I use the computer's file manager (independent of
LibreOffice) and copy existing document templates from my LOv3.x
installation into my LOv4.0 installation, the Template Manager then
shows a folder named "My Templates" under Documents, even though I did
nothing specific to create such a folder. Similarly, if I copy an
existing presentation template from my LOv3.x installation into my
LOv4.0 installation, the Template Manager then shows a folder named
"My Templates" under Presentations.

Once these "My Templates" folders exist, tools become available to
work with the folders (including creating new folders) and with the
templates within them.

I intend to write the draft chapter as if these things worked the way
they logically should.

--Jean