A documentation project for Scilab and other FOSS

Responding to a thread on the marketing list, and taking it to Docs as well.

The general topic of paying some people to work on documentation has come up before but was not really discussed here. The context was submitting a list of items to be considered for inclusion in the budget for TDF.

There are many things on the Docs wish list that no one is working on at this time, but which could be valuable additions to the delivery of information to users. Professional quality video tutorials. Well written, up to date, thorough information targeted at specific audiences such as business installations, accessibility, and others. Training materials (workbooks). And so on. Some of these could be specified and contracted to appropriately skilled and knowledgeable people, to be paid for. This would not overlap with work being done on the user guides, FAQs, etc, by volunteers. I think it's well worth considering.

If this were to occur, I would certainly not envision that consideration for payment would be restricted to TDF members. Did anyone suggest that might be the case?

Where would the money come from? Probably the general budget, from TDF's fund-raising, but only if we made a case for it. BTW, book sales raise around $100-$200 per month; this is not enough to cover many payments for work done, but it's quite a bit more than what Tom suggests as "barely enough to cover the costs of appearing in such places in the first place with perhaps a little bit to cover contingencies and maybe push into other similar distribution networks."

That is quite a bit more money than i thought.  So, maybe some of that could be used to reward one or 2 of the authors in some small way.

I think probably better if it's more like a medal, or like the DistroWatch rewards system (where people kinda vote informally for which project gets the sundry gift).  Perhaps it might be possible to give "karma points" or something as many other projects do.  Perhaps the person with the top points gets a reward and anyone achieving certain levels also gets a cash reward?

Paying people to do the more glamourous and exciting work while continuing to rely on volunteers for the hardest struggle seems the wrong way around to me.  Also there is not enough money to pay people adequately.

Since the Docs Team is generating that much money it would be nice if some of that could be regularly donated to TDF's main funds.  Also to ODFAuthors since the Docs Team uses resources that ODFAuthors has to pay for. Regular flat-rate payments can significantly help projects, perhaps review the amounts annually.  Perhaps around $10/mnth to each?  Percentages and a varying amount take time&hassle to arrange with banking systems so a flat-rate means less time gets eaten up on side issues.

Ideally i would like to see Jean get at least some sort of regular pay.  There is no chance of us paying her what she deserves as she has always done a phenomenal amount with almost no recognition.  Her crucial role as Community Development but also in setting up distribution, co-ordination&leadership of the team, liaison with other projects such as ODFAuthors and even a lot of hands-on work with the guides themselves.  It's almost entirely due to her that the Docs Team are so much more successful than the Accessibility Team.

Since it is the Docs Team that generates the money i think it would be great if they were able to say how they think it should be spent and how much built-up as a reserve.

[...]

A reminder that the printed books are published by Friends of
OpenDocument Inc, an Australia-based not-for-profit organisation. The
money is held in their account on behalf of ODFAuthors. (Other groups
and individuals' funds from book publishing are also held by Friends
of...) Financial statements are produced regularly and published on
the website. http://www.friendsofopendocument.com/newsite/?page_id=5
(Which reminds me that I need to publish the the accounts for
July-December 2012.) The ODFAuthors account currently has
approximately $9,000 in it.

Bits of the money from this account have been used from time to time
to pay for things that TDF has been unable or unwilling to pay for
(such as marketing material, review copies of books, and some expenses
for attending conferences). The intention is to continue to pay for
things in that category. Who pays for what will undoubtedly change if
fundraising for TDF continues to be so successful. I do not see any
good reason to send bits of money to TDF instead of handling it the
way we have been.

BTW, anyone is welcome to apply to become a member of Friends of
OpenDocument, Inc. There is no cost. For information on how to apply,
see the website.

Ideally i would like to see Jean get at least some sort of regular pay.
There is no chance of us paying her what she deserves as she has always done
a phenomenal amount with almost no recognition. Her crucial role as
Community Development but also in setting up distribution,
co-ordination&leadership of the team, liaison with other projects such as
ODFAuthors and even a lot of hands-on work with the guides themselves. It's
almost entirely due to her that the Docs Team are so much more successful
than the Accessibility Team.

Thank you for the kind words, Tom. I would certainly not decline to
receive some pay for my work, if the group thought that was
appropriate. I do claim some out of pocket expenses already
(conference expenses not covered by TDF, mostly), with authorisation
from the Management Committee of Friends of OpenDocument Inc.

Since it is the Docs Team that generates the money i think it would be great
if they were able to say how they think it should be spent and how much
built-up as a reserve.

The Docs Team has always had a say in how they think the money should
be spent (though I'll admit that probably few if any of the current
members are aware of this), but it is up to the Management Committee
of Friends of OpenDocument Inc to make the decision.