Please help with final checking of Writer Guide v3.6

I have compiled the full Writer Guide v3.6 (except for the covers,
which I'll add later). The PDF is here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/published-lo-3.6/wg3.6-writer-guide-full-book-pdf/view

It is now time for final checking of the book, looking for glaring
errors before I do the printed version.

By "glaring errors" I mean things like this:
* Missing figures (blank spaces where figures should be)
* Missing x-refs (message similar to "Error: reference not found")
* Wrong figure x-refs (pointing to the wrong figure)
* Bad page breaks (for example, big gaps at bottom of a page)

Please send a note to this list, or directly to me, if you spot
anything. This is *not* the stage for nitpicking, suggesting
improvements, or the like, though of course it you find actual errors,
let us know.

You are also welcome to suggest improvements etc, but they will be put
on the list for the v4.0 book, not incorporated into the v3.6 book.

This is a good job for anyone, including total newcomers to the
project. You don't need to know anything about the program or have
good English skills; all you need is to be able to pay attention and
notice things like those listed above.

More than one person can check the file at the same time. People see
different things. Or you can start at the last chapter and work
forward, or in the middle... anything to get all chapters looked at by
someone in addition to me.

Thanks in advance!

--Jean

I have downloaded this and will look at it over the next week or so.

Page 273:
2) Press and hold the Alt key while using the arrow keys.

It looks like sub points i) j) should be a) b)

Regards
Dave

Jean,

I have completed my read-through.

Page 365:
2) On the Name and Path of Master Document dialog (Figure 370):

It looks like sub points g) h) i) j) should be a) b) c) d)

No other obvious errors found.

Suggestions for future updates:

Page 113:
  4) On the Page page of the Page Style dialog box
  Change "Page page" to read "Page tab".

Page 114:
  2) On the Text Flow page of the Paragraph dialog box
  Change "Text Flow page" to read "Text Flow tab".

There are several other instances where "<dialog name> page" has been
used in place of "<dialog name> tab". Maybe I have missed some prior
consensus on the use of the term dialog "page" in place dialog "tab",
but it is not being consistently applied to this and other documentation.

Page 123:
  2) Click the Link Frames icon on the object bar.
  Change "object bar" to read "Frames toolbar"

Regards
Dave

Thanks, Dave, for this and previous notes. I had caught several of those mid-numbered sublists, but obviously overlooked others. That is exactly the sort of embarrassing errors that other people see and my gaze skips right past.

Yes, there is a discrepancy in the use of Tab and Page in dialogs, which we need to standardise. I don't recall what the latest consensus is on this subject, or indeed if we've reached a consensus. Nor is that the only inconsistency in usage that needs to be fixed.

--Jean

Hi
Referring to Tab and Page, the Contributor's Guide, Chapter 5 Style Guide, on page 12 says the term 'page[of tabbed dialog]' is preferred over 'tab [for the operational area], any version of window'.
The usage example given is: 'On the xxxpage of the yyy dialog, ... [but], Select the xxx tab and set..'
Also given is the information that 'dialog(s)' is the preferred term over 'dialog box(es)'.

JohnS

Thanks, John. It's good to have people looking these things up when I don't have easy access to the files myself, and I rarely trust my memory these days. :slight_smile:
--Jean