Getting Started Guide Version LO 4.0

Hello

I have just uploaded a draft version of Chapter 5 Getting Started with Calc
into the Draft LO4.o folder in Documentation - Getting Started on the ODF
Authors website.

It is ready for review and comment.

There has been substantial changes to this chapter when compared to version
3.4.

Regards

PeterS

Hello

I have just uploaded a draft version 4.0 of GS Chapter 7 Getting Started
With Draw onto the ODF Authors website at teh following link:

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.0

Please review and comment.

Regards

PeterS

Hello

I have just uploaded a draft copy of Version 4 of the Getting Started Guide
Chapter 1 Introducing LibreOffice to the ODF Authors website.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.0/gs-chap-1-introducing-libreoffice/view

It is ready for review and comment.

Please note that I have used the default Tango set of icons. I will be
honest and say that this is not the best set of icons I have seen for
software. Much prefer the Galaxy set.

Regards

PeterS

Hi Peter
I've just taken a quick look at your chapter and agree that Tango is not too good an icon set. I've expressed the same opinion to Jean and I hope the decision will be made to stay with Galaxy.

With regards to the chapter you've just posted, the copyright page carries the date range 'to 2012'. I've been changing this to 2013.
Jean is going to make a decision on how we refer to file types: .odt, *.odt, .ODT, or just ODT etc. This so we have a consistent presentation in the docs.
I only wanted to look at the document to see your graphics to see if they reinforced my thoughts on the Tango set, I've not done a read-through so can't comment further.

Oh! Speaking of comments. The new Writer allows you to select a range of text and add a comment to it. With my Win XP set-up, on the files in which I did this as a reminder for when I returned to them, LO could not open them, returning a read error. Watch out for that. Could only be Windows.

Regards
JohnS

I tested the possible problem with comments created by LO 4.0.0.0.beta2 (32 bit). LO 3.5.7and 3.6.5.2 both opened it with no problems. Even the Ubuntu version 3.5.4 opened it. One thing that I did notice is that all of these versions placed the arrow at the beginning of the range of text (without highlighting this range) while LO 4.0.0.0.beta places the arrow at the end of the range (this range is highlighted).

--Dan

Hello John

I only did this as an experiment. It will be easy enough to change back to Galaxy if we can get an agreement to continue with Galaxy.

Thanks for the info about the commenting in Writer. I shall watch out for it.

Regards

PeterS

Hi Dan
My problem exists on LO 4.0.0.1. I only have Windows to check it on and it causes the error there. The problem, to reiterate, is caused by selecting a range of text and inserting a comment, as opposed to just clicking in the text and then inserting a comment. This can be seen here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.7 in the first screen shot in the Writer section.

JohnS

OK, since we all dislike the Tango icons, let's keep using Galaxy in the v4.0 user guides for now. That will also save some work in identifying and replacing icon images.

--Jean

I have installed LO 4.0.0.1 on both 32 bit and 64 bit for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I repeated the test (selecting more than 10 words) using 4.0.0.1. On 32 bit, it opened as before in LO 3.5.7 and 3.6.5.2. On 64 bit, it opened using LO 3.4.4, 3.5.7, and 3.6.4.3. LO 3.4.4 hung up for a while possibly more than 20 seconds (I did not time it). The other versions opened very quickly. I can not speak for RPM and Mac versions.

--Dan

+1 :wink:

Best regards

Leo