Base Handbook: possible correction to the name of a table

In my earlier work on this book, I translated "Mahnungen" as
"Recalls". I assumed that the reference was to the recall notices that
many libraries (including the one I used to work for) send out when an
item is due for return or renewal.

However in the chapter on Queries, it is mentioned that these
"Mahnungen" are associated with a fine of 2 euros per item! This
must mean that they are not recall notices but overdue notices issued
*after* the loan has expired. The name for the associated table should
therefore be "Overdues", not "Recalls".

Sorry to put a spanner in the works at this late stage!

Hello Hazel,

In my earlier work on this book, I translated "Mahnungen" as
"Recalls". I assumed that the reference was to the recall notices that
many libraries (including the one I used to work for) send out when an
item is due for return or renewal.

However in the chapter on Queries, it is mentioned that these
"Mahnungen" are associated with a fine of 2 euros per item! This
must mean that they are not recall notices but overdue notices issued
*after* the loan has expired. The name for the associated table should
therefore be "Overdues", not "Recalls".

When I look for a translation for "Mahnungen", I find "reminder" or
"admonition". The normal way in libraries is to send letters, when the
books, cds and so on are not brought back at the right time. For this
reminders the reader has to pay for.

Sorry to put a spanner in the works at this late stage!

Changing of "Recall" to any other item means, that the databases have
also been changed. Should we do this or should we say: "A little mistake
in the term doesen't change the function in the database."

Regards

Robert

We can say something briefly, if necessary, about the term used in the
book. Different countries (or other government areas) have different
practices regarding fines for overdue or recalled items, and so
"Recall" is a reasonable term here.

--Jean

So what if I add a line or two to the current chapter saying that
if library policy is to send out recalls *after* an item has
become overdue for return, so that a fine is due, the data in
the "Recalls" table can also be used to calculate the amount of the
fine - as shown below?

Hello Hazel,

So what if I add a line or two to the current chapter saying that
if library policy is to send out recalls *after* an item has
become overdue for return, so that a fine is due, the data in
the "Recalls" table can also be used to calculate the amount of the
fine - as shown below?

Everything, which will work without renaming "Recall" to another item,
could be a good idea. Please add some lines in the text to declare the
difference and I must not change the table in the database (and in all
translated chapters).

Regards

Robert

Good suggestion. Please do. Thanks.