Calc Functions vs Excel Functions

Hello,

//Question for Documentation team:

I was translating Calc functions to Turkish, i was cross checking with
Microsoft Office then i had a suspect that YIELD and RECEIVED was
translated wrong in MS Office Turkish.

While searching the answer for the question "Should it be the same,
even if it is wrong?" i need to find a comparision list of Calc
Functions vs Excel functions but i could'nt find.

Is there a comparision list and a migration guide that, this function
covers this function in Excel?

//Question for localization:

Is there a policiy or a suggestion about keeping the translations
parallel with MS Excel?

Best Regards,
Zeki

- Calc Function List in Appendix B of the Calc Guide (imported to
Turkish Wiki for work:
http://wiki.libreoffice.org.tr/Fonksiyonların_Tanımı
- Short list of MS Excel Function Definitions:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-functions-by-category-HP005204211.aspx
- There is a similar page in help but categories shown in another
page: http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Functions_by_Category

Hi Zeki,

Zeki Bildirici schrieb:

Hello,

//Question for Documentation team:

I was translating Calc functions to Turkish, i was cross checking with
Microsoft Office then i had a suspect that YIELD and RECEIVED was
translated wrong in MS Office Turkish.

While searching the answer for the question "Should it be the same,
even if it is wrong?" i need to find a comparision list of Calc
Functions vs Excel functions but i could'nt find.

Is there a comparision list and a migration guide that, this function
covers this function in Excel?

Please have a look at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Calc/Drafts/Treatment_of_new_Excel_2010_functions
It contains some remarks on Excels new functions and some references.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi :slight_smile:
My personal opinion is that doing exactly as you have done is quite perfect.  Letting people know and asking for people's opinions so we can hopefully arrive at some sort of consensus or at least agree a temporary policy.

I think it's better to be correct rather than being consistent with MS (imo).  It might be even better if it's possible to define the term in the introduction or around where the table for Mac-users is.  If there were a glossary or index or external references section or comparison list that could be referenced from within the body of the chapters then that would be a great way to list the wrong term used in Excel and have the correct term in the same table or list.

So, what do other people think would be good?  Any other ways we could solve this?