Oracle Open Office Guides - license

Hi!
I thought this is the place to ask, hope someone knows the answer...
Oracle translated its Oracle Open Office Getting Started Guides into several
languages.
They are available as pdf files or online. For instance:
- Hungarian http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1806/index.html
- Dutch http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1807/index.html
- Polish http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1808/index.html
As the work is already done this would be great possibility to upgrade those
guides to LibreOffice new versions (or AOOo).
Does anyone on this list know the legal status of those documents? Their
notes seems unchanged as copyrighted and for license buyers only, and as
this product is abandoned, do you think that those ever will be donated?
Anyone know anything about those guides? Translators, people at Oracle
involved? Big thanks in advance for any information or hints.
Best regards.
P.S.
Anyone having AOOo pals handy - please ask about it (as they received some
stuff from Oracle already the official way)...

As far as I know, none of those documents were contributed to Apache.

The only documentation that is available that applies to OpenOffice.org is whatever remains accessible on http://www.openoffice.org and the ODFAuthors site. Work to upgrade documentation for releases of Apache OpenOffice is being conducted on the ODFAuthors site.

- Dennis

Hi :slight_smile:
Hefty upgrades have happened to the Getting Started Guide and there are many different 'local' language teams translating them into various different languages or upgrading from previous versions (or a bit of both).  Some have got a lot further than others
http://www.youblisher.com/p/88617-BrOffice-3-3-Relatorio-de-funcionalidades
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications/fr
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/pt-br/Tradução#Lista_de_tarefas_para_documenta.C3.A7.C3.A3o_em_portugu.C3.AAs
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/pt-br/Guia_do_Iniciante

However i haven't seen how far the 3 languages mentioned (Hungarian, Dutch, Polish) have got and it might be a good idea to copy the ones from the Oracle website before they vanish.  Oracle is not a fan but the documentation is probably still under a copyleft license such as the Creative Commons "CC-by-SA" as used by this Documentation Team.  Apache seem a lot less unfriendly but it's a bit disturbing to see documentation for their product is still only on the Oracle site, or is it?

Thanks for drawing this to our attention.  Has the international translations list been told already or should we forwards this to them?

Tom wrote

However i haven't seen how far the 3 languages mentioned (Hungarian,
Dutch, Polish) have got and it might be a good idea to copy the ones from
the Oracle website before they vanish.  Oracle is not a fan but the
documentation is probably still under a copyleft license such as the
Creative Commons "CC-by-SA" as used by this Documentation Team.  Apache
seem a lot less unfriendly but it's a bit disturbing to see documentation
for their product is still only on the Oracle site, or is it?
Thanks for drawing this to our attention.  Has the international
translations list been told already or should we forwards this to them?

Hi!
I haven't seen Guides in Hungarian and Polish at all - not for OOo nor LO
incarnations.
It would be great if that documentation could be transferred to "CC-by-SA"
and therefore be legal to work upon and distribute.
I started this topic on this list - so do not hesitate to "take over" and
forward to interested international parties.
Best regards.

Hi :slight_smile:
Now i have looked at it those guides are web-pages rather than proper guides and i don't know a good way of downloading them in a useable way.  Perhaps the websites team might be able to help?  Is anyone here on the websites list?

Tom wrote

Hi :slight_smile:
Now i have looked at it those guides are web-pages rather than proper
guides and i don't know a good way of downloading them in a useable way.

Hi!
Web mirroring software can be used or wget. Anyway here are links to pdfs
(at least they are available ATM):
Hungarian - docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1806/821-1806.pdf
Dutch - docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1807/821-1807.pdf
Polish - docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/821-1808/821-1808.pdf
Best regards.

AFAIK, the Getting Started guides for LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org (both produced by ODFAuthors) were always very different from the Oracle Open Office documentation of the same name (produced by Oracle), both in content and in licensing. Don't be misled by the similarity of names, either of the products or of the documents.

--Jean
Leader, LibreOffice Documentation Team
Former Co-Lead, OpenOffice.org Documentation

[I thought I answered this once. In any case ... ]

As far as I know, the Oracle Open Office Guides are not part of the grant to Apache OpenOffice.

The only documentation available on OpenOffice.org is legacy material on <http://www.openoffice.org> and material on ODF Authors. Updating for Apache OpenOffice documentation is happening on ODF Authors. These have nothing to do with the Oracle Open Office Guides and their translations.

- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote

As far as I know, the Oracle Open Office Guides are not part of the grant
to Apache OpenOffice.

Hi!
Anyone reading this know the people responsible for those docs? Maybe there
is a chance to convince Oracle to donate these files, as still Guides for
OOo/LO are not available in some languages. Docs by Oracle are very good
start. On the other way it is easier to update than to reinvent the wording
or sentences describing the same options...
Best regards.

Hi :slight_smile:
Probably Oracle would just delete them if they noticed they still had them.  Not much chance of passing them on to anywhere useful.  They are not fans of TDF nor Apache and have just recently been in a big court case against Apache.  Not sure who started that one.  I get the feeling they only gave OpenOffice to Apache because they found OO so tough to deal with they thought Apache would find it a mill-stone sucking up a lot of their resources and less able to focus on fighting in court.

Just my 2 lots of 2 cents.  Gotta pop-off to the cash machine now.

I believe the Oracle employee who has contributed substantial effort to the shepherding of the contribution into Apache OpenOffice has seen questions about that documentation and also about training materials that Oracle prepared.

I don't believe any response is available.

I'll mention this to him and see if there is likely to be anything happening.

- Dennis

PS: I also don't think it is known what the editable format is and whether editable forms have been preserved.

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote

I'll mention this to him and see if there is likely to be anything
happening.

Hi!
Any "we won't suit you if you copy'n'paste our text and make freely
available guides with a side note of the source material" rubberstamp would
be great news for some languages.
Best regards.

bfo wrote

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote

I'll mention this to him and see if there is likely to be anything
happening.

Hi!
Any "we won't suit you if you copy'n'paste our text and make freely
available guides with a side note of the source material" rubberstamp
would be great news for some languages.
Best regards.

OMG. This should be like:

Any "we won't sue you if you copy'n'paste our text and make freely available
guides with a side note of the source material" rubberstamp would be great
news for some languages.

Hello,

There is no need for the Dutch version of these guides. Most of it is covered in the translated ODFAuthors guides.

Best regards

I checked around. Nothing is expected from Oracle with regard to those documents. I have no details, but it seems to not be an option.

With regard to what someone might do on their own, I have nothing to say.

Sorry,

- Dennis

Checking two of the links are reading a translation of the text I read a standard copyright notice for "all rights reserved". My understanding is that you can download them for personal use only. Any copying, etc is forbidden by the notice.

Hi :slight_smile:
You mean like a "copy-left" agreement (such as a Creative Commons license such as this team uses) rather than the copyright that Jay found?