Items for revised template for LO user guides

Here are some of the items on my list:
* Use built-in styles wherever possible; remove all the custom styles (the
ones that start with OOo).
* Define the formatting of the built-in styles to match the corresponding
custom styles that are being removed.
* Use only these list styles (NOT separate ones for start, continue, and
end of list): List 1, List 2, List 3, Numbering
1, Numbering 2. Numbering 3.
* Change the Tip/Note/Caution formatting to NOT be in tables, which do not
export well to HTML or ePUB. (For this we need to decide what we want in
place of the tables that will look OK in print and in other formats. This
will take some research and experimentation and can be implemented later;
no need to hold up the revised template for something complicated.)

I'll add these to the wiki page for the new template, which I will create
unless someone else has already done so.

--Jean

The page is here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/TemplateForV4

I have been testing the Tip/Note/Caution table using ePUB using test.odt. I agree that the one we have at the present will not work very well when converting it to ePUB.
      However, I was able to make 2 news table that will convert well to ePUB using Calibre. I used the Table tool. I created a 1 row 2 column table. Measurements: table, 17.59 cm; left column, 2.43 cm; right column 15.06 cm. One of the tables was for Note and the other was for Caution.
      Both tables came through the conversion except for the borders including the background colors in the left column and caution's graphic.
      For this problem, I opened test.epub in Sigil. All I needed to do to add 8 lines to the stylesheet.xhtml file. 5 were added to the Table style and 3 were added to the left column style. The 8 lines are below.
      As far as HTML is concerned, I opened test.odt in LO. Then I saved it as an HTML file. When I opened the latter in Firefox, the tables were preserved.
      What I have not tested is what happens when one of these tables contains a list. That might be a problem, or it might not.

             TABLE STYLE LEFT COLUMN STYLE

border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid;

border-width: .1cm; border-left-style: solid;

border-bottom-style: solid; border-width: .1cm;

border-width: .1cm;

border-color: #000;

--Dan

Hello Jean

One idea about warnings, cautions and notes is to use a graphic for each type immediately followed by the title WARNING, CAUTION, or NOTE in bold italic upper case. The text in italic then immediately follows the title. This makes it quite distinctive on a page. I have used this method in my past life. Also used it without italic text. All depends on if you like using italic text, which sometimes does not fully convert in some languages.

As you can gather, I am now back behind my home office desk slowly recovering from a great vacation.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com