Docs easy hacks page

First draft of Easy Docs Hacks page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Easy_hacks

Contains most of what's on the "wish list". Needs work. I'll give it
some more love when I get home next week, but meanwhile you are very
welcome to comment, make suggestions, etc.

--Jean

Hi Jean

First draft of Easy Docs Hacks page:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Easy_hacks

Contains most of what's on the "wish list". Needs work. I'll give it
some more love when I get home next week, but meanwhile you are very
welcome to comment, make suggestions, etc.

1. Getting started:
"You will need to join a mailing list and get several logins, depending on what you intend to do."
There should be "Easy Hacks" where there is no need to "join the mailing list and/or get several logins".
A really low level entry:
"Where can I send founded mistakes or descriptions of features etc.? Send it to documentation@ or do a bug report." Although a bug report isn't a low level entry ;-). Or something else.

Question: "How to catch the people to work with us?"

2. Should there be some notes about translation of documentation as an Easy Hack?

Good points. Thank you. --Jean

I amended the page. --Jean

Hi :slight_smile:
I like the idea and it's making good progress from a good start but can we try to use CamelCase for urls rather than spaces, underscores or other special characters that might not be easily visible?

On my computer and most that i have come across any weblink gets automatically underlined and the underscore between Easy and hacks disappears into that.  So, i am suggesting copy&paste the contents into
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/EasyHacks
and leave a redirect at the old page.

Security advisors still erecommend not clicking on links in emails even from people you do trust.  It's better to te-key the address or navigate from an official site that you do trust.  Of course i ignored the advice and just clicked and so does almost everyone else.  It's the old security versus productivity issue.

AFAIK, many of the existing wiki pages (though not necessarily in the Docs section) have underscores in their URLs, because the page names have multiple words. Most click throughs won't be from emails except from team members using this list; they'll be from other wiki pages. I consider this a non-issue. Unless a lot of other people consider it to be a problem?

I don't think it's a problem as such.  It makes it a little unclear but most people creating wiki-pages are not really thinking about clarity in the titles and ease of access.  I was just hoping the docs team could lead the way with examples of best practice.

There is no reason the Docs Team wikis should be any less inconsistent with each other than any of the rest of the wiki.