English translation of Base 3.5 (German: Base Handbuch)

I have had a first look at the translation of the chapter about tables.
There are many tables in the (German) database, which are described in
this chapter and other chapters.
We must decide, if we will also translate this tables from German to
English. Before I will change the database I want to know the right
translations of the terms in the table-relationship.
You could see the german terms, when you will have a look at the
relationship of the database, figure 1 on page 5 of
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts/base-3.5-chapter-3-tables/view
Example:
German table "Verfasser", fields "ID", "Vorname", "Verfasser"
English table "Author", fields "ID", "Prename", "Surname"
Changing of these terms will be a lot aof work, because there aren't
only tables. There are many views and queries, which must be created new
when changing the tables.

Robert

Some of these names actually are a matter of choice. What I often see in example field names are first name (Vorname) and last name (Verfasser). Sometimes: given name (Vorname) and surname (Verfasser), but this seems to be far less often. In the US when we are asked for our name, they want first name, last name, and middle initial. Just some thoughts. Likely, things are different in other English speaking nations.

--Dan

I can certainly give you a hand with those as I used to work in a
library and helped to design our computerised database. "Vorname" by
the way is "Given name" or "Christian name"; the former is preferred
nowadays for "diversity" reasons.

Hi :slight_smile:
First and last names only.  Sometimes only the initial for the first name.  Seldom get asked for middle initial let alone middle name.  Guess there are fewer of us in the UK.  Hmmm, actually rarely get asked for name at all.  Usually Date-of-Birth or National Insurance Number is used to identify people.  (I'm not a number.  I'm a free man.)

Following the philosophy of "release early and release often" i think keep the field names in German for the first release.  It makes it clearer that LO is a multinational project and combines work done around the world.

Please ignore my earlier post.

I didn't know, that there are so much differences only for "Vorname"
(fist name) and "Nachname" (last name) in different countries.
But the translation I have asked for wasn't only the translation of one
table, so we couldn't discuss the whole here in the mailing-list.

I have uploaded a *.ods-file with all tables in German language and my
translation in English language. I don't know, if it is all right.
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/download/Mediendatenbank_Tabellennamen.ods
Would be nice if sombody would have a look at it. Write your suggestion
in the english table and send the document back to my private mail-adress.

At the first time I will read the translated chapter for tables. Then I
try to translate the chapter for "Reports". And when there is enough
time I will take the whole database to an English Version.

Regards

Robert

Hi :slight_smile:
I tend to prefer swapping things around when i create a database to make things easier to find later.  Usually when designing Forms and Reports i prefer finding that all parts of a name are together rather than some being mixed in with lines of an address or first choice of whatever.  So, i preferred

Name1st
NameLst

Adrs1st
Adrs2nd
AdrPstCd i guess in the US i would use  AdrsZip

FoneHm
FoneFax
FoneMobW
FoneMobH

and such-like but i admit other people find it confusing at first and field-name sizes probably haven't mattered for quite a while now but short means you are more likely to be able to differentiate between similar ones even if you can't give the field much space on a form or have to do something weird with it.

Probably just me though.  I think keeping the German names would be fine for this 1st release.  I did read through the English translations in the spreadsheet and they seemed fine but i don't understand the German side so (again) my opinion doesn't really count.  Just my thoughts.

"Re-Hi" Robert:

_*Time Zones and Telephones:*_

Here in Montreal it is now 14:26 Friday, so I was surprised to see an answer from Germany at this time. (I thought you would be asleep over there!) In Quebec, the time zone is Eastern North America (same as New York City) and the daylight savings rules are the same as the U.S. (although some provinces and states do not have daylight savings time e.g. Saskatchewan and, I think, New Mexico).

Added to the variants is the problem that there are so many people whose first language is not English, but who depend on English to bridge gaps between various other languages.

I wonder if it would be feasible to get your phone number and time zone. Some of these things involve short rapid-fire back and forth dialogue which can be somewhat arduous and slow on email, although computer lovers do it much faster than most others.

Added to that, English is, on one hand the most associative language as far as I know, but the downside is that it sadly lacks a lot of vocabulary, especially with its strong pragmatic focus. Consequently we are given to the endless use of elisions and acronyms to "mouth" the otherwise lengthy strings of words needed to carry the message and all its contextual links. (If it costs me 7 cents a minute to call the Netherlands, I would expect the cost to call Germany to be about the same. By comparison, a cup of coffee here can cost from $1.25 to $3.00 or $4.00, depending on the place.)

_*Montreal Diversity:*_

Added to that, the tone of voice or (using a term from Toastmasters International) "Vocal Variety" can make a big difference, especially if it fills a gap that is larger than ideal because of the lack of more precise vocabulary.

The little German I have seen in my days reminds me of the expression used on the door of the Video Tape recording shop in the English National Television Network headquarters of CBC in Toronto back in 1971 when I worked there for a short time - "magnetbandaufnamen" - magnetic tape recording, which ironically originated in Germany. 3 concepts linked in one word.

and more "Babel Babble"!...

As if all this was not enough, here, on the streets of Montreal there is no majority of race, creed, colour or language.

"If you live in Montreal, you don't need to spend money getting on an airplane to see the world - the whole world's at your doorstep!" You can expect about 80 languages in a day. The immigrants and their endlessly diverse mixture of descendants are the majority. Shall we now try and find someone to translate all this into Urdu, Farsi, Tie (one of endless African languages) or Gujarati (India)? Yet if you drove 35 km. out of Montreal you'd think it was a different country!

Best of luck, and if I can't get a number to call you, I can attach sound clips up to about 8 minutes max in voice quality, likely OGG Vorbis or MP3.

Best Regards,

Bruce Martin.

I would be happy to have a look at this for you, but it might take a
while as I am still part way through translating the Forms section of
the handbook.