Documentation Volunteering

Hi there,

My name is Lindsay Kemmlein, and I am interested in volunteering with the
documentation side of things in LibreOffice. Is there room for me to be
involved? I see I'm also supposed to request a user account on the
ODFAuthors website.

A bit about me. I just graduated from Temple University with a degree in
German education, but I also have an interest writing. I worked as a
writing tutor/editor at my university writing center. We focused on helping
students with content strength and grammatical accuracy in academic
assignments (mostly essays, but also things like PowerPoint documents and
lab reports).

So, I'm interested in things like editing, proofreading, and reviewing. I'm
also hoping to gain a bit of experience with documentation writing.

I look forward to getting started!

Lindsay K

Hi Lindsay,
nice to have you here.

Two things:
1. The coordination for the German-speaking part of documentation is done on the German ml: discuss@de.libreoffice.org. So let me invite you to follow there for German documentation if you want to do so.
We started there to produce some Howtos and to translate the international guides.

2. There are many different documents to proofreading and reviewing here for international documentation. Even some translations for German books like the BASE Handbuch should be done (I don't know the exact status of this). But I think Jean as our documentation lead can do some explanations.

Have a first look at [1], [2] and subpages.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
[2] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/de

If you are interested in some deeper work ask for an account on www.odfauthors.org .

If you have question ask here or on the German ml.

If you can translate from German into English, you could help a lot
with the Base Handbook.

If you prefer to do something else, we always have many more projects
than people to work on them.

Some of us spend most of our time keeping the English user guides up
to date, but we would also like to have people produce other materials
including tutorials and howtos, for both general audiences and
specific audiences such as academics or students or businesspeople.
Whatever your interest, there is definitely room for you to be
involved, and we will be very happy to have you on the team.

I'll have someone set up an account on the ODFAuthors website, which
is where we do most of the work. But if you prefer to work directly on
the wiki, that can be accommodated too.

I think work on translating the Base Handbook is going to have the biggest impact on the whole community.  Other things are fairly crucial too, of course, as always.

Translating from German to English definitely sounds like something I would
be up for and interested in doing. Seems like a good idea :slight_smile:

Lindsay

Gernan originals are here:
http://de.libreoffice.org/hilfe-kontakt/handbuecher/

See the table on this wiki page for who is translating which chapter:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Base_Handbook

Some modification may be necessary; see discussions on other threads.

Also, note there is a "Base Guide" that is being written, mainly by
Dan Lewis. The "Base Handbook" translation is intended to be an
interim measure to fill a gap in the user documentation.

--Jean

Excellent. I will have a look. I choose a chapter that isn't checked out,
edit the wiki section, and add my initials in the corresponding box. This
shows that I am working on that portion of the text. Got it. Then, I
translate! Right now I am reading through the style guide. Looking
forward to getting started.

Thanks!
Lindsay