[libreoffice-documentation]

There is something terribly wrong here.

All I want to do is use libre to copy a text file into a table. I can't.

I therefore want some quick-and-easy access whereby I can enter a help field with 'table - enter (or copy) a text file'.

I have been looking intermittently for a month in your documentation, your help files, your web sites, and can't find what I need.

Your documentation is much too complicated.

Larry

This mailing list is not supposed to cover user problems. Yu should use
the "users" mailing list for support.

All I want to do is use libre to copy a text file into a table. I can't.

You can copy the text inside an empty document, and then transform this
text in a table by using Table > Convert > Text to Table

or

You can create an empty Table by using Table > Insert, and then copy the
text inside a cell by using Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Text

Best regards.

Hi :slight_smile:

It's not very clear exactly what is meant by copying a text file into a
table.

Is the text in a .txt or a .csv or tsv file-type? Or do you have maybe a
Word file open or a website or something and trying to copy&paste from that
into LibreOffice? If you click on the links into Nabble and reply then it
might be possible to use the "More" button to upload the an example of the
type of thing you are doing. Obviously don't give us any confidential
information!

Also are you trying to get the text into a table in Writer? Have you
considered trying to get it into Calc instead? Once in a spreadsheet format
including csv or tsv it should be fairly simple BUT it's one of those things
that might be a LOT easier with hindsight.

Official documentation is on this page
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
It's possible to get sneak pre-release editions (and archived editions) at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
but the wiki-page is more for authors, and people that work behind the
scenes (and/or people that just enjoy poking around and finding weird stuff
(such as the video tutorial and other 3rd party guides & HowTos).

Are you getting your guides from somewhere else or are those the ones that
you are struggling with at the moment? If they are the ones then is there
anything you could suggest that might help us make the guides easier?
Various documentation teams in OpenSource projects have had a few 'noobs'
join to help give a fresh perspective but they tend to become quite expert
all tooo quickly and lose that noobish insight. Help would be appreciated!
:slight_smile:

The OP on this thread is not subscribed to this list, so he will not see any messages not copied to him. --Jean

[...]

Methinks he simply wanted to convert text to a table (i.e., making a table out of selected text)--something that Word, Writer, or FrameMaker can do with ease. For LO, it's select the text, and then Table > Convert > Text to Table.

Importing text into a table cell is child's play, so I strongly doubt that was what he intended.

Gary

It would have been nice if you had given us step by step what you did and what happened at each step.
      I did an experiment. I open LibreOffice and selected Text Document. Then I created a table (2 columns, 2 rows). I clicked in the top row left column. Then I clicked Insert to open its menu. At the bottom of it was File. I browsed to a text document and clicked Open. The text file was added to this cell of the table. I then clicked the top right cell. This time I inserted an ODT file (this is LibreOffice's text document). It also inserted properly.
      Reading over you email again, I think what your are not doing is clicking a cell of the table and then inserting the file using
Insert -> File. Browse to the help file and click Open.

--Dan

If I am correct, he may have found something that is not covered by the Writer Guide. To insert a text file into a cell of a table uses the Insert > File. It is not in the Writer Guide which I have which is based upon LO 3.4.6. Unless someone has added this in a later version, it is not in it. Should this be added?

--Dan