Getting Started 3.5. Chapter 7: Draw

Quite a few errors here, I'm afraid.

p.183. "Pages pane" (twice). It's actually called Page Pane.

p.191. "To only format..." should be "To format only..."

p.198. Slanting an object. The word "shear" is used at one point (and
also in Fig 194). I think this is confusing; it ought to be the same
word throughout.

p.203. "...high zoom values that are practical for your display." What
does that mean? The *highest* value that is available?
Displaying the grid. "...click on with..." should be "...click on..."

p.204. "To turn on or off the help lines..." should be "To turn the
help lines on or off..."

p.206. Figs 208 and 209 don't match. Fig 208 doesn't show any
specifications for changing the colour.

p.209. Last sentence does not make sense.

p.210. "...this is a similar process used..." should be "...this is a
similar

Hi :slight_smile:
I thought shear was a better description of what the thing does.  It's probably the word i would use when doing a search through the document to try to find how to make the object slanted.  Hmm, now i look at the online dictionaries i see that shear is only used that way in physics (and possibly engineering) and most of the time it's used to mean "cut off", which i would say is "shearing off" or a "catastrophic shear".  I might of thought of "italicising" the shape or "tipping" it but "slant" wouldn't have occured to me.

Hi Hazel,

Hazel Russman schrieb:

p.198. Slanting an object. The word "shear" is used at one point (and
also in Fig 194). I think this is confusing; it ought to be the same
word throughout.

You are right. Using the red handles is not a shearing in the mathematical meaning. A mathematical shearing is only possible using the position&size dialog.

The same error is in the Draw guide, chapter 3.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_mapping
[2]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Shear.html

Kind regards
Regina

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks Regina :)  That's made sense of a few things for me.  Sorry Hazel!  I should have known you'd know!