English translation of Base 3.5 chapter on Tables

I have put this in the LO3.5 drafts folder. It probably needs
re-styling and it certainly needs to be reviewed by the original
author because I may have introduced errors into it in the course of
translation.

Then there are the illustrations. Some of these are screenshots, and
they just need to be replaced by English versions, but a lot of them
are diagrams showing relationships between tables and fields. I think
these must have started their lives as Draw files, but of course they
have been embedded as PNGs so they can't be edited. If Robert can
put up a folder of the original drawings somewhere, I will try to
translate all the names.

This was exhausting! I am not doing another chapter till I have
recovered.

Hazel,

I have put this in the LO3.5 drafts folder. It probably needs
re-styling and it certainly needs to be reviewed by the original
author because I may have introduced errors into it in the course of
translation.

I will try it in the middle of October. I do not know, where I can get
the "drafts folder". The only documents I have created for LO I have
created with E-Mail-contacts to other people.

Then there are the illustrations. Some of these are screenshots, and
they just need to be replaced by English versions, but a lot of them
are diagrams showing relationships between tables and fields. I think
these must have started their lives as Draw files, but of course they
have been embedded as PNGs so they can't be edited. If Robert can
put up a folder of the original drawings somewhere, I will try to
translate all the names.

The most of them are screenshots - I will change them also. Only some
illustrations werde made with draw. There is to see german text and the
same in English. That wouldn't be complicated to change for me.

Robert

Hazel, thank you for your hard work. I can well imagine that you will
require a period of time to recover -- I certainly would, if I had
done the work.

I have moved the file to the Drafts folder for the Base Handbook
(different from the Base Guide).
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts/base-3.5-chapter-3-tables/view

It's set to be visible and downloadable without logging in to the
ODFAuthors website. However, if someone wants to upload anything, they
will need to be logged in. Robert, if it's easier for you to put files
somewhere else, please do so and let us know where they are.

--Jean

What is the difference between a user guide and a handbook? I ask
because the chapter I have just translated contained several references to the "Erste Schritte Handbuch". I assumed that this was the German name for the Getting Started User Guide and translated accordingly. If it is not, what is it?

Hi :slight_smile:

From the German documentation page

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/de#Handbuch_.22Erste_Schritte.22

So, yes "Erste Schritte Handbuch" = Getting Started Guide but they often put the wiord "Guide" at the start on the documentation page.

Good work Hazel (as usual)
Congrats, thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello *,

Hi :slight_smile:

From the German documentation page

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/de#Handbuch_.22Erste_Schritte.22

So, yes "Erste Schritte Handbuch" = Getting Started Guide but they often put the wiord "Guide" at the start on the documentation page.

The "Erste Schritte Handbuch" is based on the English "Getting Started
Guide", but the content isn't the same. The German "Base Handbuch" is
the continuation of the "Erste Schritte Handbuch Base". Example: If you
are looking for the wizards to create tables, queries or reports, you
could only find this in the "Erste Schritte Handbuch Base". If you are
looking for macros in Base, you could find this in "Base Handbuch".
The database-examples have all the same theme:
CD-Collection an d Media-Collection in "Erste Schritte Handbuch Base"
Library (Administration, Surching, Loan ...) with and without Macros in
"Base Handbuch".

Robert

Well, in that case, I was wrong to translate the title of Erste
Schritte. And it seems to me that we have a problem. Because if that
media library database is defined in Erste Schritte (we have a
different example database altogether in Getting Started with Base),
then your Base Handbook is not going to make total sense by itself.

I think someone should take a hard look at that before I do any more
translations.

Hi :slight_smile:
So there are 2 books to translate?  Not just 1?  Are there more?

The "Base Handbuch" is a standalone version, but you won't find anything
about wizards in this version. "Erste Schritte ... " let the user create
a database without knowing anything about databases. It declares every
step of the wizard and leads forst to a database with only one table.
For a second example there is included another table, and thats all.
Users, who have created a databases before or worked with the English
"Getting Started ..." won't have problems to understand the German "Base
Handbuch". There are declared the details of tables, queries, forms and
reports. And every step is shown without wizards.

Robert

Sounded to me like the Erste Schritte Base document is a chapter, not
a book. Like our Getting Started with Base chapter, though with
different content.

Perhaps I did misunderstand how much might be needed, but it still
sounds to me like a potentially faster way to get a book than to write
one from scratch. A book to use while a more comprehensive one (Dan's)
is being worked on.

--Jean

That's right. The point is that the content *is* different from the
corresponding chapter in the English GS. Both books use the Wizard to
create a CD database, but it's the German media database that becomes
the basis for the loans system described in the Base Handbook.

I am looking at Chapter 2 of the Handbook right now. I hope that will
be easier than Chapter 1 was (I always found forms conceptually easier
than tables).

I've got Martin Fox listed as working on translating Chapter 2.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Base_Handbook

--Jean

Oops! Sorry, I meant Chapter 4. The Forms chapter, which follows the
one on Tables. It seems the logical next step.