Adding new figures (screenshots) and renumbering?

Hi all,

I'm updating the Writer Guide and have a newbie question about figures and
figure numbering. If I want to insert a new figure in a chapter, what is
the best way to renumber the subsequent figures in the document? Is it just
a matter of manually renumbering each figure, and then editing any
references in the text to the figure numbers? Is it best to avoid adding
new figures unless absolutely necessary? It seems renumbering all the
figures could introduce a lot of problems in a chapter, so I wanted to ask
for some help.

Thanks,

Jamie Eby

It's all done automatically if you use figure captions and automatic
x-refs. Same for tables. *Never* number them manually or x-ref to them
manually. These features make adding, deleting, or moving figures and
tables easy.

If you're not sure how to do this, the instructions are somewhere in
the Writer Guide and also, I think, in the Contributors Guide.

--Jean

Thanks Jean. That makes sense. I was hoping there was a better way.

Jamie

You really do not have to fret over the automatic numbering of figure or tables in the event that you do not know how to do them. Just insert/modify your graphics/tables in the order you desire and create or modify their captions appropriately--leaving the numbering part absent. (Leave marginal comments in order to alert an editor about their omissions...)

An editor subsequently can easily fix them afterward.

Gary