Translate Base Guide from German? (was: Change LO icon set shown in user guides?)

I have looked at this book, and I think it would be very good if we
can get it translated into English so we have something for users
while Dan and others are finishing the English Base Guide that Dan has
been working on for several years.

The first translation does not need to be into good English (although
that would be preferred), because other people can edit and correct
the English. I understand that you don't want to do it, Robert, and
that's okay.

Who can help? Martin? Hazel? Someone lurking on this list? No one
needs to commit to doing the whole book.

--Jean

I certainly can't translate a whole book but I am always available for
handholding. And polishing up raw translations is something I
actually like doing.

I'm looking for people to do individual chapters, so no one is
expected to do the whole book.

Martin Fox said he will translate as much as he can. I suggested he
start with Chapter 2.

Perhaps you'd like to translate another chapter of your choice (from
Chapter 3 onward)? If not, that's okay. I know you'll do a great job
polishing up others' translations.

I can produce a Preface; the German version looks much like what I've
done for other books. And I'll check with Rick Barnes about how far
he's progressed with Chapter 1 of his proposed book. The outline for
his proposal and for this book look quite similar.

--Jean

Jean Weber wrote:

>>> I have looked at this book, and I think it would be very good if
>>> we can get it translated into English so we have something for
>>> users while Dan and others are finishing the English Base Guide
>>> that Dan has been working on for several years.
>>>
>>> The first translation does not need to be into good English
>>> (although that would be preferred), because other people can edit
>>> and correct the English. I understand that you don't want to do
>>> it, Robert, and that's okay.
>>>
>>> Who can help? Martin? Hazel? Someone lurking on this list? No
>>> one needs to commit to doing the whole book.
>>>
>>> --Jean
>>
>> I certainly can't translate a whole book but I am always available
>> for handholding. And polishing up raw translations is something I
>> actually like doing.
>>

> I'm looking for people to do individual chapters, so no one is
> expected to do the whole book.
>
> Martin Fox said he will translate as much as he can. I suggested he
> start with Chapter 2.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to translate another chapter of your choice (from
> Chapter 3 onward)? If not, that's okay. I know you'll do a great job
> polishing up others' translations.
>
> I can produce a Preface; the German version looks much like what
> I've done for other books. And I'll check with Rick Barnes about how
> far he's progressed with Chapter 1 of his proposed book. The outline
> for his proposal and for this book look quite similar.
>
> --Jean

      I was in contact with the German team sometime last fall and got the first chapter. At that time
it was nearly a translation of the Getting Started with Base chapter including one of the databases. At least that is my recollection.
      "Off topic": I should be finishing Chapter 3 of the Base Guide by the end of September. I "only" have to write how to create a form in Design View including all the tools and their toolbars that are needed.

--Dan

I've downloaded Chapter 3 and I'll have a look at it.

Hello Jean,

I will try to translate chapter 6 ("Berichte"). I have corrected some
content in the German version, which isn't changed in the document on
the server jet. It will be changed with most of the chapters in the next
version.

Robert