Questions re media.lo.org

media.lo.org doesn't show much except filenames and
"(application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, xxxxxx bytes)" for each
file when one is browsing a folder. Am I correct that it can be
configured to show other useful info like date of publication? Can it
also be configured to get rid of
"application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text" which is meaningless noise
for most users?

Is it possible to reorder the files within any one folder so that all
the ODTs are together and all the PDFs are together, instead of
sorting by filename (which causes the files to alternate ODT and PDF
-- confusing to those who don't pay close attention. And/or can
media.lo.org show PDF and ODF icons like alfresco.lo.org does? (Small
icons are fine; they don't have to be big ones like on
alfresco.lo.org.)

BTW, I note that media.lo.org gives file locations sensibly, like this
(though we'd need to get rid of the blank spaces):
http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/details/English/Documentation/Getting%20Started%20Guide/Published%20v3.5/GS3501-IntroducingLibreOffice.pdf

So if we use media.lo.org as the repository where we send people, then
my objection to the horrible file locations in alfresco.lo.org is
overcome. But we still MUST use different filenames to correspond with
different versions of LO.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

media.lo.org doesn't show much except filenames and
"(application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, xxxxxx bytes)" for each
file when one is browsing a folder. Am I correct that it can be
configured to show other useful info like date of publication? Can it
also be configured to get rid of
"application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text" which is meaningless noise
for most users?

Yes, the current state of http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/ is just a
starting point. If you clearly define what you'd like to see there,
and if documents contain a matching set of meta tags containing that
info, the info display can be tailored to pretty much whatever you
want.

Is it possible to reorder the files within any one folder so that all
the ODTs are together and all the PDFs are together, instead of
sorting by filename (which causes the files to alternate ODT and PDF
-- confusing to those who don't pay close attention. And/or can
media.lo.org show PDF and ODF icons like alfresco.lo.org does? (Small
icons are fine; they don't have to be big ones like on
alfresco.lo.org.)

On http://alfresco.libreoffice.org, the answer is already "Yes". If
you drop down the list at the top of the repository index (which will
currently be showing "Name") then you can choose the sort criterion
for the listing.

On http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/, this is certainly do-able and
I'd just need to get back to Jeff Potts with a coherent and
comprehensible set of requests and requirements. (Same applies for the
file type icons.)

BTW, I note that media.lo.org gives file locations sensibly, like this
(though we'd need to get rid of the blank spaces):
http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/details/English/Documentation/Getting%20Started%20Guide/Published%20v3.5/GS3501-IntroducingLibreOffice.pdf

Getting rid of the blank spaces would entail renaming documents with
underscores used instead of space characters.

So if we use media.lo.org as the repository where we send people, then
my objection to the horrible file locations in alfresco.lo.org is
overcome. But we still MUST use different filenames to correspond with
different versions of LO.

Of course, if you find it easier to use different file names for
different versions of a given document then it's perfectly feasible.
You'll have read my comments in other posts about this (as regards
de-duplication, meta tags and versioning), but - ultimately - Alfresco
is mostly able to wrap around the way *you* want to work, and the
number of concessions you are obliged to make is pretty minimal...

We would only have to arrive at a clear, comprehensive and
comprehensible set of specifications, and then things can be set-up
pretty much any way the team wants.

Hi Jean,

Is it possible to reorder the files within any one folder so that all
the ODTs are together and all the PDFs are together, instead of
sorting by filename (which causes the files to alternate ODT and PDF
-- confusing to those who don't pay close attention. And/or can
media.lo.org show PDF and ODF icons like alfresco.lo.org does? (Small
icons are fine; they don't have to be big ones like on
alfresco.lo.org.)

On http://alfresco.libreoffice.org, the answer is already "Yes". If
you drop down the list at the top of the repository index (which will
currently be showing "Name") then you can choose the sort criterion
for the listing.

This doesn't work the way I would like. If I sort by "mimetype" all
the PDFs get put before all the ODTs, but the PDFs are no longer in
chapter order (nor are the ODTs). That is not acceptable. Is it
possible to add a second sort criterion (filename)?

Also, it looks to me as if the default sorting is by filename and that
individual users can sort as they choose (if they know how). If this
is true, then anything I might do to reorganise the list would not be
visible to visitors to the site. Is this correct?

BTW, I note that media.lo.org gives file locations sensibly, like this
(though we'd need to get rid of the blank spaces):
http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/details/English/Documentation/Getting%20Started%20Guide/Published%20v3.5/GS3501-IntroducingLibreOffice.pdf

Getting rid of the blank spaces would entail renaming documents with
underscores used instead of space characters.

Filenames already have no spaces. We'd just need to rename folders
with underscores.

Alfresco
is mostly able to wrap around the way *you* want to work, and the
number of concessions you are obliged to make is pretty minimal...

We would only have to arrive at a clear, comprehensive and
comprehensible set of specifications, and then things can be set-up
pretty much any way the team wants.

Nothing personal, but I've heard that story before on any number of
projects, and it's never turned out to be true. Always some critical
item turns out to be not do-able for some technical reason and we have
to compromise or find a workaround. I want to have a clear idea of
what IS do-able before I spend time writing specifications. Hence all
the questions, and a wave of the hands to say "all things are
possible; just say what you want" is not reassuring.

--Jean

Hi Jean,

This doesn't work the way I would like. If I sort by "mimetype" all
the PDFs get put before all the ODTs, but the PDFs are no longer in
chapter order (nor are the ODTs). That is not acceptable. Is it
possible to add a second sort criterion (filename)?

At the moment, AFAIK, it's not currently possible within Alfresco
Share (http://alfresco.libreoffice.org), which only offers the same
sorting capabilities as in most desktop operating systems, such as
Windows Explorer and Gnome's Nautilus, in which you get a single level
of sorting rather than multiple-criterion sorting.

In the CMIS browser at http://media.libreoffice.org:8081/, it would be
easier to implement multiple-criterion sorting.

Also, it looks to me as if the default sorting is by filename and that
individual users can sort as they choose (if they know how). If this
is true, then anything I might do to reorganise the list would not be
visible to visitors to the site. Is this correct?

That is correct, every user defines their own sorting criterion. It
*may* be possible to configure this on a site-wide basis, but I'm not
sure ATM.

Hi Jean,

Alfresco
is mostly able to wrap around the way *you* want to work, and the
number of concessions you are obliged to make is pretty minimal...

We would only have to arrive at a clear, comprehensive and
comprehensible set of specifications, and then things can be set-up
pretty much any way the team wants.

Nothing personal, but I've heard that story before on any number of
projects, and it's never turned out to be true. Always some critical
item turns out to be not do-able for some technical reason and we have
to compromise or find a workaround. I want to have a clear idea of
what IS do-able before I spend time writing specifications. Hence all
the questions, and a wave of the hands to say "all things are
possible; just say what you want" is not reassuring.

Well, I'm certainly doing my best to answer your questions frankly and
simply. It would be good to get some input from Cedric Bosdonnat, too.

I certainly wouldn't pretend that "all things are possible; just say
what you want". Indeed, I wouldn't even pretend that all the things
that are possible will be available. Depending on what was wanted,
configuring and customizing Alfresco could be time-consuming and a
major project that no-one would be likely to take-on on an unsponsored
basis.

Until now, the documentation team only used Alfresco in a fairly
out-of-the-box form. That provided lots of functionality that was
fairly simple to use.

I'm not sure about the functionality of ODFAuthors' Plone-based tool,
but is there a single important feature that it has that Alfresco
doesn't? It would be interesting to see if there are any shortfalls in
capability between the two.

In any case, I certainly don't have any vested interests in the team's
using Alfresco - indeed, if you just use ODFAuthors' Plone, it will
save me a packet of time and effort! (And, at the moment, money, too!) :smiley:

[BUG REPORT]

On the page <http://media.libreoffice.org/>, there is a link with title "The Documentation Foundation." It links to TDF though. (I make cognitive errors like that too. I always have. And my increasing years have led to more and different ones lately. The strangest recently was saying "October" when I meant "Oregon.")

- Dennis

[BUG REPORT]

On the page <http://media.libreoffice.org/>, there is a link with title "The Documentation Foundation." It links to TDF though. (I make cognitive errors like that too. I always have. And my increasing years have led to more and different ones lately. The strangest recently was saying "October" when I meant "Oregon.")

Heh - sounds as if the "found" is a bit difficult to remember: Look at the
marekting list archives at Gmane (there the "found" also lacks):

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing

:slight_smile:

Nino