Translating Math Guide

Hello,

I tried to translate Math Guide in French.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Doc#Guides_d.27utilisation_officiels
The document is under review with the French documentation team, but I have
some questions and suggestions about the English version.

First question is why using specific styles for doing the same thing as
default styles? Now in Math Guide there are up to 4 (four) styles for doing
the same thing: original style, OOo-renamed style, LibO-renamed style,
German LibO-renamed style. These styles are not automatically translated.
For non German speaking, some names have no meaning. When you use automatic
style (for instance adding a legend) you have to change style. So what are
the advantages of using these styles?

This document seems to have a long history with many writers. I'm favor of
reordering some parts. Is it possible to do it in the French version, prior
it is validated in the English one?
A French How-To Math exists with some extra stuff compared to Math Guide. Is
it possible to add these elements to French Math Guide prior it is validated
in the English one?

There exists a chapter Getting Started with Math. I rapidly read through it,
and what are the differences with the Math Guide, except appendix?

The first page is a picture. Where can I get the sources to translate it?

I made some suggestions of additions and corrections (complete appendix) and
uploaded a modified version of the English Math Guide on the wiki:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:MG35_LBP-MathGuide.odt

Many thanks for your answers.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

Laurent BP

Answers in your mail.

First question is why using specific styles for doing the same thing as
default styles?

This decision was made about 8 years ago and will probably be changed.
We want to have a completely revised and updated template for the user
guides for LO4.0.

Now in Math Guide there are up to 4 (four) styles for doing
the same thing...When you use automatic
style (for instance adding a legend) you have to change style. So what are
the advantages of using these styles?

Multiple styles are because of the long history of the guide, without
duplicate styles being removed as they should be.

This document seems to have a long history with many writers. I'm favor of
reordering some parts. Is it possible to do it in the French version, prior
it is validated in the English one?

Yes, please do in the French version first, and also, if you wish, in
the English version.
We recently added some material translated from German.

A French How-To Math exists with some extra stuff compared to Math Guide. Is
it possible to add these elements to French Math Guide prior it is validated
in the English one?

Yes, please do the French version first.

There exists a chapter Getting Started with Math. I rapidly read through it,
and what are the differences with the Math Guide, except appendix?

I think the latest Math Guide has extra information translated from
German, that is not in the Getting Started chapter, but it's possible
the chapter was changed too. Originally there was no difference except
for the Appendix. In fact, at one time there was no Math Guide, only
the Getting Started chapter.

The first page is a picture. Where can I get the sources to translate it?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team
has two .svg files. All the guides are included, in layers.

I made some suggestions of additions and corrections (complete appendix) and
uploaded a modified version of the English Math Guide on the wiki:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:MG35_LBP-MathGuide.odt

Thank you!

The clincher for me was learning that styles cascade so that if you change one then that change gets pushed through to the other styles settings while retaining the change in font-size and stuff.  It's really quite amazing.  In MS Word it would randomly change styles and that would suddenly switch me into american spellings even though i kept demanding it switch to English (Uk).  LO gives far better control over all that and stops bullet points suddenly changing size and shape or numbering going wonky for no good reason.  LO wins hands-down imo, and one of the reasons is the way styles are handled.

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your answer.

Jean Weber wrote

First question is why using specific styles for doing the same thing as
default styles?

This decision was made about 8 years ago and will probably be changed.
We want to have a completely revised and updated template for the user
guides for LO4.0.

I think that will be much better, not only for translation.

Jean Weber wrote

Now in Math Guide there are up to 4 (four) styles for doing
the same thing...

Multiple styles are because of the long history of the guide, without
duplicate styles being removed as they should be.

Then, if I have enough time, I will do some clean up.

Jean Weber wrote

This document seems to have a long history with many writers. I'm favor
of
reordering some parts. Is it possible to do it in the French version,
prior
it is validated in the English one?

Yes, please do in the French version first, and also, if you wish, in
the English version.

OK. I do my best to maintain the English version in the same time. But do
you want to keep all changes saved in the English file?

Jean Weber wrote

There exists a chapter Getting Started with Math. I rapidly read through
it,
and what are the differences with the Math Guide, except appendix?

I think the latest Math Guide has extra information translated from
German, that is not in the Getting Started chapter, but it's possible
the chapter was changed too. Originally there was no difference except
for the Appendix. In fact, at one time there was no Math Guide, only
the Getting Started chapter.

OK. I will see this chapter later so.

Jean Weber wrote

The first page is a picture. Where can I get the sources to translate it?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team
has two .svg files. All the guides are included, in layers.

OK. I may have found it by myself if I were more curious :wink:
I'm not used to svg. I just finished to install Inkscape, and will see what
can I do with it. LibO opened the file but render it with a mess. AOO did it
better, but not in a useful way.

Jean Weber wrote

I made some suggestions of additions and corrections (complete appendix)
and
uploaded a modified version of the English Math Guide on the wiki:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:MG35_LBP-MathGuide.odt

Thank you!

I will upload next version of the file at the same place.

Have a good warm day :slight_smile:

Laurent BP

jumbo444 wrote

I'm not used to svg. I just finished to install Inkscape, and will see
what can I do with it.

I translated the file in French, uploaded it to wiki, and add links on
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#First_steps_with_the_Documentation_team
and
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Doc#Ressources

Laurent BP

Hi :slight_smile:
Brilliant!!  Nicely done!  Have you been able to let the French Team know?  Is the French Team quite quiet?

Hi Tom,

Tom wrote

Hi :slight_smile:
Brilliant!!  Nicely done!

Well, I am in no way responsible for the nice first page of the guides. I
just translated into French :wink:

Tom wrote

Have you been able to let the French Team know? Is the French Team quite
quiet?

For sure. The work in progress of the translation is presented here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Doc#Travaux_en_cours_sur_les_guides_ODFAuthors

Publications are here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications/fr#Guides_utilisateur_officiels

Laurent BP

Hi Tom,

Hi Tom,

Tom wrote

Hi :slight_smile: Brilliant!! Nicely done!

Well, I am in no way responsible for the nice first page of the
guides. I just translated into French :wink:

Tom wrote

Have you been able to let the French Team know? Is the French Team
quite quiet?

For sure. The work in progress of the translation is presented here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/FR/Doc#Travaux_en_cours_sur_les_guides_ODFAuthors

Publications are here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications/fr#Guides_utilisateur_officiels

Just to complete a bit Laurent answer, we (meaning FR team) are working together, usually one is translating and others are proofreading files and enhancing comments if needed in a collective way. Everything happens on our discuss@fr list and the files are managed on the wiki.
Usually, differences between translation and original are left in the files. I'm currently trying to get more people involved in the FR -> EN way, mostly for the FAQ, but it's not easy :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sophie