Eliminate points in Draw

On the Edit Points toolbar there is a tool called Eliminate Points.

The explanation in LO Draw help and version 3.4 of the guide do not explain
what this tool is for. The following is the text extracted from Draw help:

"Marks the current point or the selected points for deletion. This happens
in the event that the point is located on a straight line. If you convert a
curve or a polygon with the Convert to Curve icon into a straight line or
you change a curve with the mouse so that a point lies on the straight line,
it is removed. The angle from which the point reduction is to take place can
be set by choosing LibreOffice Draw - Grid in the Options dialog box"

I understand how to convert a curve to a line, but I cannot get this
Eliminate Points tool to work.

Also why have an Eliminate Points tool when there is already a tool called
Delete Points, which is very simple to use.

Can anybody shed some light on this one or point in the right direction to
find the information.

Regards

PeterS

Hi,

It is needed when you are drawing freeform - Menu Route - Curve - Freeform Filled. Freeform line. There could portions that you need to smooth usig Bezier for that portion.

jk

Chapter 3 has an example I think.
Martin

Hello Martin and JK

Thank you for the hints.

I am rewriting the Draw guide for LO3.5 and using version LO3.4 as a base. The instructions given in version 3.4 are very poor and difficult to understand.

At first I could not get the Eliminate Points to work, but have now succeeded in getting it to work. In my opinion this is an overly complicated way of deleting a point.

Once a curve has been converted to a line with more than one point on the line, you select the point you want to remove and then use the Delete Point tool, which is also on the Edit Points toolbar. The selected point is deleted and a straight line is created between the two points either side of the deleted point. This is a far simpler method of deleting or eliminating a point and produces exactly the same result.

I think that we should remove the Eliminate Points tool from the Edit Points toolbar as it is unnecessary. Now I need to know who to contact within the Document Foundation to make this suggestion.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

hi,
1.Using the Curve icon drop down draw a)curve b) polygon c)polygon 45degrees d)freeform objects. And next draw e) straight line object. The delete point action icon  does not appear at all only eliminate point is active. The delete point icon becomes active when you convert it to a polygon.Draw from its Star office / OpenOffice days had intention to be the best Drawing and Darfting program - Even today it can import AutoCad dxf formats. And Raster to vector converted dxf files. And recently SVG formats. I think checking older documentation would help. I strongly believe that programmers develop amd put together code that definite purpose.

regards

Hello

Sorry to disagree with you, but here is how the it works in Draw LO3.5 on all three major operating systems.

The delete point is active ALL the time when you select a point on a curve, polygon or free form object, whether it is a curve or a curve converted to a line. Select a point and click on the Delete Point icon on the Edit toolbar or press the Delete key. The point is deleted and a straight line is formed between the two points either side of the deleted points.

Eliminate Points only becomes active when a curve has been converted to line. First select a curve and use the Convert to Curve tool on the Edit Toolbar to convert it to a line. Select a point and select the Eliminate Points tool. Click and drag the point until the line becomes a straight line between the two pints either side of the selected point. Release the mouse button and the selected point is eliminated or deleted. The same result can easily be achieved using the Delete Point tool or the Delete key.

The Delete Points and the Delete key have one further advantage. You can select more than one point using the Shift key and mouse clicks, then delete the selected points with one click or key press. Eliminate Points tool cannot do this.

Conclusion, Eliminate Points tool is an overly complicated method of creating a straight line between two points. In my opinion Eliminate Points should be removed from Draw because the Delete Point and the Delete key serve the same purpose, but in a far simpler way with the above added advantage.

This will be described in the Draw user guide for LO3.5.

Regards

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

hi,

I have

LibreOffice 3.5.4.2
Build ID: 165a79a-7059095-e13bb37-fef39a4-9503d18
on

Microsoft ® Windows XP
Version 5.1 (Build 26UU.;:psp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619 : Service Pack 3)
Copyright 2007 Microsoft Corporation

I also have OpenOffice.org3.4

Suggest you start a new drawing -Turn Drawing Tool bar- off. Close the file. Open the file again - Set tool bar on - DESELECT POINTS (F8 TOGGLE) . (if on by any chance) . Draw sample of all items from left to right until Points icon. DESELECT ANY OBJECT IF SELECTED. THERE SHOULD BE NO OBJECT WITH dotted square and tiny green objects. Now select Points - tab is gighlighted  (bright) but nothing else.  Select an object carefully - no double click - Only Eliminate points icon present. Select any object. Next select insert point - insert point -carefully (mouse sensitivity must be high - check on this elsewhere/ install manufacturer supplied drivers for good mouse) doube click must not be inadvertant. Stll no Delete point icon. now select an inserted point and move  - Delete icon appears on my computer.

I have admiration for the great effort you people are putting in. And wish you all success.

Regards

hi,

I use CLICK-N-TYPE© VIRTUAL KEYBOARD from  http://cnt.lakefolks.com/ designed initially to help a differently abled person. This is my constant companion - And I use it to increase my abilities further and save my fingers in my not exactly, "work" with computers with the philosophical question, "Who has helped who?" popping up constantly. I am studying Accessibility now and hoping to help.

regards