Questions about Translations of the Guides

Hello,

We want to translate the LibreOffice User Guides to Turkish. Already
some chapters translated by individual efforts. However, we have some
questions on our minds.

- We do not have much manpower(as our numbers are growing, but the
avarage available time per contributor is not much) thus we
concantrate on LibreOffice's embed Help on Pootle. We wonder that, the
documentations are derived from this Help content, or they are
seperate(as independent) documents was written by the documentation
team? If they are derived from embeded Help, it will be wiser to
finish the help section. If not, as they are written from scratch, i
think we should start to manage a translation team to get this this
beautifull user guides in Turkish :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Zeki

The user guides are not derived from the embedded Help. They are independent documents written by the documentation team.

The embedded help in English is a bit old and out-of-date now.  Is your team checking it works and fixing it as they translate?  If so then it would be fantastic if we could translate it back into English!

At the moment the English team is also small so they have focussed on producing the official Guides
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

Actually, we dont check&report them as we considered them as "must be
recent" till now. And the loacalizers are not regular users of all the
applications.

We face them sometimes.
eg:https://translations.documentfoundation.org/tr/libo_help/translate.html?unit=14569917

Well, i think there might be a good feedback option for the QA of the
original strings. Pootle has a comment box, which we can add a
"unique" word to the strings which we may think:

- Outdated,
- Bad wording
- Vanished feature etc.

For exampe a unique word of comment as "tombalak", will work sugh a
tag, and it will be possible to track this strings and report them.

What's your opinion?

Regards,
Zeki

Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry, only just dared to answer this one!  My opinion doesn't really count.  You probably have a far better idea of what is going on because of discussions in your team and from getting involved in the work.

"Release early and release often" sometimes means just getting a first iteration out there that people can see and use even if you know parts of it are wrong or "not quite as perfect as you would like".  The next time you go through you have some notes or even just vague ideas of improvements you want to make and you may get a chance to do some of those changes.
http://paulgraham.com/startuplessons.html

It means you get a result out there into the world so that people can see and use the result.  Some of that might result in criticism but a lot of that criticism can be turned around by inviting the critical people to join the team to help put things right.

So, don't worry about re-doing things to be perfect.  Just get the first version out there.  Don't aim at perfect the first time.  That is my thought.

Thank you for your opinion :slight_smile: I've relayed the subject to l10n list[1]
and informed our team about this. I am not sure that we can
revise-rewrite the English content, however i think we might be able
to spot the outdated/wrong/bad wording strings. We will tag them with
the comment tombalak, and collect the strings then report it to the
bugzilla.

We are on %51, and i hope we will contribute to the quality of the
original content.

Regards,
Zeki

1- http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg04673.html

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes, i wouldn't worry about the English version.  If your team just improves the one in your language then maybe the English team might be able to translate yours back into English some day.  Maybe 6months time or much more.  The French Faq is slowly getting translated into English.